No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alexandrite glass plaque engraved with "The Fox Hunt" Signed by Kevin Andrews??  (Read 274 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
This plaque i recently bought and it turned out that the engraver may well be Kevin Andrews 1971 as i have found
a piece of glass with similar engraving by him and the same date described as Webb Corbett produced. In any case
i am really pleased to have bought it as it is really good subject for where we live and being the color that it is i guess
should be less of them around. The plaque is 11" x 4 1/4" really heavy. Could anyone contribute on the engraver if it
is Mr Andrews? for Webb Corbett. and any views on it from other collectors perspectives desirability etc i am quite taken
by it :) Thanks very much for looking....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Fieldings has a vase with engraved pelicans, 1971 by Kevin Andrews for Webb Corbett. Maybe that’s the one you found. https://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/117187

There is a video of Kevin Andrews engraving a horse riding design here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=DEWzIJGUjfQ

How does your panel compare- it’s hard to comment on the engraving as you can’t see the detail in your photos of the horse, dogs, and rider.

There is a vase that is extensively annotated/signed on the bottom with “Designed by David Smith, made by M. Andrews (Glassmakers), and engraved by K. Andrews, Webb Corbett. 1976”. Same item is on eBay and has also been listed on live auctioneers.com (nine times from 2021 to 2024). The engraving on that looks more stylised than yours though:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/vases-vessels/vases/andrews-webb-corbett-engraved-glass-footed-vase-1976/id-f_30197212/

Maybe it was a family business. There is an A.H.Andrews from 1930s for Webb Corbett, maybe the father? Malcom Andrews says his father was in the glass industry for 50 years (possible also Webb Corbett but not clear).

M.Andrews info: https://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/10416466.retired-stourbridge-glassmaker-is-centres-number-one-volunteer/

A.H.Andrews vase, 1935: https://www.bonhams.com/auction/22582/lot/77/ah-andrews-for-webb-corbett-the-russian-ballet-a-unique-engraved-lead-cristal-vase-1935/
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Kevin Andrews tribute: https://www.britishglassfoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/GlassCuts-55-PDF1.pdf

Doesn’t mention any relations in the business.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
That's a fab bit of information i had seen one or two of the linked in messages and it would seem
like a family tradition might be at work i have a couple of other pieces by another Andrews namely
a large Graal vase and a really well executed decanter by another member with the Andrews name
i would imagine that it is a skill the family were known for in the Stourbridge area too. Certainly seems
to point to Webb Corbett date wise thanks again :) Ekimp

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Each to their own, but I don’t think you can beat quality engraved glass, especially the bohemian stuff. When you consider that the engraver couldn’t see what they were doing as their view is obscured by the wheel and water etc, it’s fantastic. It’s not like they could rub it out and start again either.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Thanks Ekimp appreciate your message i think that i have had a few pieces in the past that have really gotten my juices flowing that were engraved
sadly one was a perfume bottle that i later found out to have been a Webb Or Stevens ROCK CRYSTAL piece years past till i realized what a mistake i had made.
The piece only made a few tens or pounds as well so gutted but like these i am still using the cheap camera i have had for years i must get a better one :) i have tried to show some better detail for you in the pictures below to see what you make of them baring in mind this camera does not show much definition .
Best piece i had was a Val St Lambert green deco vase by Joseph Simon it was heavy and had perfect sort of symmetry not finely cut but a beauty:)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hate it when you see something in the shop and don’t buy it…go back for it the next day and it’s gone >:( :)

I thanks for the extra photos, I use the camera on the phone, it does the job but not the best. Sometimes I hold a magnifying lens in front of the phone camera and that works surprisingly well for close ups.

Looks like your panel is engraved on both sides which must give a good 3d effect in real life. The way the grass and leaves have been done looks similar to the example on the video.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand