No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass vase with "bones"  (Read 416 times)

Offline Lapimano

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Hungary
Re: Glass vase with "bones"
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:28 PM »
Is the slight green color an indicator that it was made from recycled glass? (Beer and wine bottles?)

I tried to make better photos from the base: it is not entirely flat, there is an indentation slightly in the middle, and not very visible but there is some, but only a very little broken surface there. The surface in the crater is also very grainy. Not polished at all.
Not a typical broken pontil mark.

I'm not an expert, but I would imagine this was blown, since the little bones become elongated closer to the top rim, and I think that is because the glass was stretched when it was formed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 01:00:36 PM »
It is called a sand pontil, when the pipe is dipped in sand and comes loose at a single tap, no finishing needed. Used on heavier pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 03:39:09 PM »
I would imagine this was blown, since the little bones become elongated closer to the top rim, and I think that is because the glass was stretched when it was formed.
It would’ve been blown into a mould to form the basic shape and the vertical ribs, then they attached a pontil rod to the bottom to be able to apply the decoration and shape/expand the rim etc.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand