No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German(?) wines w/ uranium bowls, twisted knops and engraved clematis(?) decor  (Read 439 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Found these at the recent Runway Monday fair, chucked out on a blanket on the floor, and thought they deserved better care.

Not really my area, but I assume they're German, around the turn of the last century. Possibly Villeroy & Boch, Ehrenfeld, or someone similar? The quality appears to be there.

Also, I'm rubbish at flower identification - some variety of clematis is my best guess.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
They are gorgeous! I think the flowers are meant to be fuchsias not clematis.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Thanks.

I don't know how accurate floral decor usually is, but although the stamen and pistil are right, these are lacking the tube and ovaries that fuchsias have at the top of the flower, and probably the inner petals (I'm rubbish at flowers, but my parents had a giant fuchsia bush in their garden when I was growing up, so it's one of the few I can easily recognise).

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  Bellflowers?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
They are a bit bluebell-ish.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
I think I may just have to settle for generic 'nodding flower'! They seem to have elements of several flowers.

On the maker's front, I've been informed that Theresienthal is probably the best bet.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
There seem to be a few about and people don’t seem to know who made them. There are also versions with clear bowls with uranium stems:
 https://www.ebay.de/itm/176234653556?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=707-53477-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

They don’t appear on the Stengelgläser (stem glass) pages of this Theresienthal website  http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de  I think that website is a good one and as your glasses are quite distinctive and not uncommon I would think they might show the design if it was documented or suspected Theresienthal?

Was there any reference given for the Theresienthal attribution?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Sadly, no firm attribution - it was a long-time collector of Jugendstil glass that I know who is generally spot-on.

Armed with that, I stumbled on a set with the same distinctive stems on Uwe Wolf's site with the same 'probably' caveat, and he's generally pretty good, too.

https://glaswolf.de/neueingaenge/2222/jugendstil-5-weinglaeser-mit-emailbemalung-wohl-theresienthal-um-1900.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A further poke of the internet coughed up this listing claiming that the model is called 'Liszt' (with no other mentions available elsewhere that I can find):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/285360787855

But then this page claims V&B, but still 'Liszt':

https://auktionen.auktionshauswendl.de/de/lot/lot-details/52683/6-weingl%C3%A4ser-liszt

There's a few more mentions of the design for V&B, but nothing tied to old catalogues.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Thanks.

I don't know how accurate floral decor usually is, but although the stamen and pistil are right, these are lacking the tube and ovaries that fuchsias have at the top of the flower, and probably the inner petals (I'm rubbish at flowers, but my parents had a giant fuchsia bush in their garden when I was growing up, so it's one of the few I can easily recognise).

I have several different fuchsia patterned glasses and none of them have the bits you refer to Nic.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand