No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Painted Decoration on Pink Footed Narrow Chalice Vase (Blancmange)  (Read 255 times)

Offline tictac

• Members
Hi all

I thought Id call on the 4th emergency service before i lose my mind over this piece, i have got myself so confused I dont know if coming or going...

This is quite shouty even now with all the gold removed back in the day i think it would have screamed! its possibly a centerpiece 19.5cm Tall x 23cm widest

The painting is pleasing if a little off, on some of the smaller generic flowers the artist has left white visible, the butterfly and bird are ok however, the gilding has 93% come off leaving a dark brown in places where the gold paint used to be. i think the rim was painted initally too in gold as some specs of evidence remain.

Can see no lines to indicate a mould, but it must have been surely?

The pink is quite flate and fairly consistent doesnt look opaline to my untrained eyes.

So, who and when?

I have been through some of the previous questions using pink & painted as a search string but nothing come up and so I have jumped it to you guys,

English
French
Bohemian
Cheap Import

Victorian
Mid Century
Yesterday

many thanks in advance, I have seen the combined knowledege in action on this forum before and its remarkable what you all know, im very aware there have been millions of pieces of glass produced over the years and i have lost a needle in a field of haystacks so please dont worry too much, as ultimately due to the ropey condition its not a long term keeper for me, i would just like to get some closure as If you dont know I can then move on knowing I have taken it as far as I can

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Painted Decoration on Pink Footed Narrow Chalice Vase (Blancmange)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 08:13:27 PM »
I would say Bohemian and late 19th C (therefore an import LOL). Hand blown possibly into a mould but you won't see seam marks (they have been removed) and then cut to shape. The pink is possibly an enamel finish but possibly a thin outer coating of glass. It might just be American but it's not English and not modern. It is enamelled (not painted) and gilded

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 07:31:00 PM »
As soon as I saw it, the first thing I thought of was your strange pink boot vase, Christine.
Which I can't find.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 10:54:42 PM »
  Most probably not American. High end companies did similar work like yours, Mt. Washington and Smith Bros. and of course their lesser imitators. Copied the design features, usually not the shapes. Your shape very BoHo. Possibly for export " give them the look and make and sell some more".

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 12:23:07 PM »
Is this sort of shape of large thing not called a gondola?  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 01:21:01 PM »
It bears a resemblance to the pieces shown here at the top of P.235, it says they are available with a pink ground. Silber and Fleming were importers so I too would say Bohemian.

https://cmog.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/delivery/01CORNING_INST:01CORNING_INST/1258087830004126

"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand