No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hortensja, POLAND - a major discovery (Deco and Carnival)  (Read 23547 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Hortensja, POLAND - a major discovery (Deco and Carnival)
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:15 AM »
I would say the yellowish green was from Poland, the Aussie ones are much more green

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi Anne, Christine's right, the colour in my pieces are different. The pattern is very, very close, but there are extremely subtle differences. I was able to get your picture to almost the same size as my bowl, and held the bowl over the pattern to see the differences. Probably the easiest to see is the two large leaves on the side - in the Australian version they are floating in the air without touching anything, whereas in your neighbour's bowl those leaves touch each other and the tree. There are other differences as well, but they're more subtle. Other differences I noted earlier, such as the stars being in different places, are not so pronounced.

Glen, about Inwald - I've found a reference to it being sold as Stephanie Crystal in Australia in a Tariff Board Hearing file. Frank has some pages of 'Stephanie Crystal' in a jeweller's catalogue from 1937. Wonder whether the same people imported 'Beverly'?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
Hi Christine and Cathy, thanks for your thoughts. I'm intrigued by these as looking at all three there are definite differences, so taking liberties with Glen's and Cathy's images I've done a comparative view to show them side by side to make it easier to see who did what. Perhaps this points to three makers rather than two?

Edited to add: I have just counted the ribs on them, and Glen's has 14 and Cathy's and my neighbour's has 12.  Hmmmm....
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »
Glen, about Inwald - I've found a reference to it being sold as Stephanie Crystal in Australia in a Tariff Board Hearing file. Frank has some pages of 'Stephanie Crystal' in a jeweller's catalogue from 1937. Wonder whether the same people imported 'Beverly'?

Fascinating Cathy! Thank you for that information.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 03:19:28 PM »
Not sure if the palm trees should be a split topic from Glen's Hortensja post but, I've found a palm trees pattern in a Czech Stolzle 1930's Catalogue.

Ashtray                          Page 4 Pattern 18366
Two Handled Bowl/Sugar Page 5 Pattern 18395
Trinket Tray                    Page 13 Pattern 18351
Bowls/Dishes/Plates        Page 19 Pattern 18332a 18334a

https://www-bohemianglass-org.translate.goog/katalog/c-stolzleho-synove-kat-187-lisovane-sklo-4935/detail/?_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand