Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Paperweight /shot glass

(1/1)

bat20:
Hi ,I’ve posted this glass on this site before with no luck,so I thought I’d give it a whirl on the paperweight section and hope someone recognises the canes ,although this section does seem slightly deserted these days .My uneducated guess it’s English and possibly second half of the 19th century.It has a lot of wear and a broken pontil, there are obvious tooling marks.Thanks .

tropdevin:
Hi
It is definitely English, and 20th century.  Arculus and Walsh Walsh made similar pieces in the 1920s - 1930s, and Whitefriars made some post WW2. The key is to decide whose canes they are - my suspicion is Walsh Walsh.
Alan

bat20:
Thanks Alan ,if 20th century it is I would guess at early?I’ve got some Arculus shot glasses and they are a brighter glass with little in the way of tooling marks , much thinner and less in the way of air bubbles etc …or as much wear ,the glass has a greyer tone .I’ve gone a bit cane blind on this one !,and just can’t find a match for the central blue canes !?,i don’t think whitefriars for the reasons listed ,so perhaps Walsh Walsh ,the canes seems very skilfully placed .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version