Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Etruscan Vases ?

(1/2) > >>

bat20:
Hi,a bit of a miracle finding these two 12” high vases recently !,but there they were . They have large polished pontils and wear that could easily date them to around 1850, they are a good weight and ring nicely when flicked and one is a tad heavier than the other .I know it can be tricky to attribute them easily but with everything taken into account I think they are probably made in England, ..they have rounded rims I should add. Looking through my Charles Hajdamach I noticed on page 101 (!!?)a very similar motif illustrated by Richardson glass,but I suppose it could have been copied .Any thoughts most welcome .

Ekimp:

--- Quote from: bat20 on April 26, 2024, 02:40:17 PM ---Looking through my Charles Hajdamach I noticed on page 101 (!!?)a very similar motif illustrated by Richardson glass,but I suppose it could have been copied .Any thoughts most welcome .

--- End quote ---

I don’t know who made your nice vases but I recently came across the victorian book, Handbook of Ornament by Franz Meyer. It shows the origins of some of the ornamentation that you often see on victorian glassware.

For example, your palm decoration within a heart shaped scroll looks to be a copy of Greek designs, see plate 104 no.6 and 7, page 194. Also see plate 106 no.5 - design from Orléans railroad station, Paris.

Another good example is page 173 plate 92 no.2 that looks to be the origins of the Richardson acid etched design shown on page 182 of Hajdamach.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/A_Handbook_of_Ornament/H1neEy415-MC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Ornament+by+Franz+Meyer&printsec=frontcover

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmette for similar designs.

thewingedsphinx:
I’m think Richardson’s vases in this style were signed.

bat20:
Thanks for the input,yup the design seems to crop up everywhere.I didn’t know Richardson signed their pieces , they are well made and I guess everyone was making a version ,thanks again.

flying free:

These are a nightmare to identify. I have been researching my blue one for years.

There were a number made by Thomas Webb I think somewhere on the board. If I have a chance tomorrow I'll look at the references I have to see if the shape is there.

There are some made by Richardson signed on the base Richardson Vitrified.  I think there is one or two in the Corning and the V&A.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version