No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Costebelle Vase and the possible Etling Connection  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Costebelle Vase and the possible Etling Connection
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2024, 11:07:03 AM »
Another Costebelle design can be seen here: https://www.artz.fr/fr_vases_details.php?id=4128  I’ve seen these in both plain frosted glass, sometimes with a blue patina, and in opalescent. Some carry the moulded ‘Costebelle’ mark, but I’ve seen at least one that was apparently unsigned.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2024, 09:03:57 PM »
I think in my brief 'searches' I've seen that in a few different finishes and also one I think marked Costebelle France.

Having looked at some previous threads on GMB on Etling and various other marks, it seems a very complicated area/subject. I don't own any French pieces in this area of glass so I've never looked into it.  I had no idea how complex and seemingly opaque it is reference makers.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2024, 10:57:06 PM »
Thanks -- yes, I've already seen that page and the similarity to the Reich pattern.

Regarding the comment: 'It makes it guess that Costebelle was an Artist (artistic name) who worked for Etling Project, like Georges Béal', I had considered this, but I think those designer marks are usually (always?) seen in addition to the Etling mark. In the case of these lidded pots, the examples I've seen have either been marked Etling or Costebelle and have never carried both marks. That said, I seem to recall the Loetz production for Etling was simply signed 'Richard' and didn't mention Etling either.

Other possibilities I'm considering are that may be Etling didn't have exclusive rights to some of these more common patterns, meaning that other retailers could sell them under their own names, or maybe the designs were issued under different names after Etling's store closed?

Certainly there are other instances of documented Etling designs seen with other marks, most famously perhaps 'Julien', but there's also an Etling wine coaster which is sometimes seen with 'Cesari' marks.

I've just come across something on google search regarding the word 'Julien'.  I don't know if you or the Etling project already know this ... you probably do...
Under a 'book' called Ceramique et verrerie 1937 only a 'snippet' of info to see but it appears that on page 68 there is a  mention of a M. Dreyfus (not Dreyfuss with 2 x s at the end as mentioned in the Brief History page on the Etling Project site) with in brackets after his name is written '(Julien), Societe Anonyme ETLING EDMOND), Bronzes et objets d'art, 29, Rue de Paradis, Paris 10th.
Source here:
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/C%C3%A9ramique_et_verrerie/Pg2ld7_8KdUC?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=edmond+etling+choisy+le+roi&dq=edmond+etling+choisy+le+roi&printsec=frontcover

And another mention in another book that Julien Dreyfus was Etling's nephew?

Could it be a link to glass marked Julien?

I'm just adding a link to a much older thread here on the GMB but I guess info and knowledge has moved on since then!
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,11976.msg84601.html#msg84601

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand