No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early American Cut Glass Compote c.1830. For Show  (Read 1741 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Early American Cut Glass Compote c.1830. For Show
« on: June 16, 2024, 12:10:11 PM »
  Strawberry diamond & fan with blazed punties. One of a handful of patterns that consistently show up in American cut glass from roughly the 1820-1840 period. Usually attributed to a Pittsburgh manufacturer. The shape and construction of the blown blank [three parts] bowl, stem and foot also typical for the period. In this case the foot has a ground/polished foot ring with extensive wear. Approx. 8 5/8" wide [21.9 cm] and 6"tall [15.2 cm].

I always wanted one of these early compotes for my collection but the cost was prohibitive [usually $300.00 at auction]. Got lucky on eBay as they were selling it as pressed glass and nobody else noticed.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Early American Cut Glass Compote c.1830. For Show
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 09:42:33 PM »
  Some more of this pattern in different forms. Decanter, jellies, wines and a tumbler

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 11:17:53 PM »
Nice find :)
I have no idea who Pittsburgh makers might have been.  Was Pittsburgh a big glass making area and do you have any idea who candidates might have been for your bowl?

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 10:07:25 PM »
  By mid 19th century Pittsburgh was the epicenter of glassmaking in U.S.A. From Bakewells  factory beginnings in 1809 it grew exponentially. In 1880 the U.S census took a special interest  in the industry .Their findings are telling. Of the 91 establishments producing tableware in the U.S.A. [ pressed and luxury table glass] 30 were located in Pittsburgh and environs.
  Bakewell would be the obvious attribution for this compote, the probem is there were probably a handful of other co. producing the same article in this period.

Enter "Pittsburgh in the search function at CMOG you will get results that give a sort of overview. 19 pages some extraneous.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 10:22:08 PM »
ooh I looked into Bakewell (?Pears) when I was investigating a goblet c.1850.
I didn't actually manage to come up with very many items but I liked the ones I saw. Heavy, substantial and well designed pieces.
I'll have another search when I get a minute.  Thanks :)
m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 09:03:28 AM »
  Another compote in the same patternhttps://metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/16738
  Decanter rich cut [ faceted neck rings, star cut foot, etc.] https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/58047

The smallest cut glass three ring decanter I have ever seen from this period. It literally fits inside a cut tumbler of the same period.

Still have a photo of your goblet. They are kinda rare in American cut glass from this period.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 12:31:39 PM »
oh the goblet turned out to be Saint-Louis but I originally thought it was American.  I can't quite remember now why I looked up Bakewell Pears but in the end  I wrote to maybe the Boston and Sandwich curator(?) and they said not theirs.

Thanks for the extra photographs.  I wonder why the small decanter is so small and what it was to hold?  Perhaps a one person whisky decanter?

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 09:30:52 PM »
  I really don't know. I will say it approximates the size of several different forms [bitters and colognes] but does not conform to any I have seen. I think it an actual decanter. Whatever it was meant to hold was probably very dear or expensive, or both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand