No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen a paperweight this big?  (Read 863 times)

Offline glassforlife

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Has anyone ever seen a paperweight this big?
« on: July 03, 2024, 06:56:28 PM »
Hi

First post here!

I've been collecting paperweights for a while and this was given to me recently as a present. I've had a good look around the interweb and i can't find any info or anything similar. All i know is that it is from Murano (Says on the bottom). Im wondering if anyone has ever seen another paperweight this big and how common they are? It has a 9" diameter and weighs 13kg!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Has anyone ever seen a paperweight this big?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 09:39:33 AM »
Just a thought, and I may be way off here, but I just wonder if it isn't in fact a paperweight, but a nightlight.  It looks to be on an LED base which makes it change colour/s...?
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Has anyone ever seen a paperweight this big?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 07:28:31 AM »
There have been some very large paperweights made for special displays.  Josh Simpson made a 100 pound (12 plus inch diameter) planet paperweight for the Corning Glass Museum.  He also offers smaller versions for sale ranging from marble size to megaplanets ranging up to 9 1/4".  There was a 6 1/2" diameter megaplanet on display at the May 2024 Paperweight Collectors Association convention in Providence, RI (USA).  I think the weight was 15 or 16 pounds.  Some collectors have bought extra large paperweights in Murano.  It takes a strong arm (more likely arms) and special equipment to make anything over 6".  When Josh made the 100 pound weight, he had to upgrade his studio equipment to handle the larger size and longer duration annealing required.  I have a couple of very large paperweights... I need to measure them.     

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand