No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Bowl Cobweb design but who is the maker?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Glass Bowl Cobweb design but who is the maker?
« on: September 24, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »
I acquired this beautiful bowl at car boot sale today and wondered if anyone could help me identify the maker, please?
At first glance I wondered if it might be a Monart cobweb design or perhaps French but I don't know enough about the subject to make a determination and I cannot find similar in any of the books I have.
It measures 12.75 inches in diameter and is 3.25 inches high and it has a folded top rim. There is wear to the base indicating age to the piece.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Ronnie

http://i9.tinypic.com/2cyiafp.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2qlvert.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2u5qjxh.jpg

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 06:46:33 PM »
Loetz Schaumglas from the 1930s by the look of it... congratulations, nice piece.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »
Thank you for the information. I shall enjoy reading up about this make of glass and adding to my rather scant knowledge of such a fascinating subject.
Much appreciated.
Ronnie

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 07:37:37 PM »
Looks like WMF Ikora to me, though I am not confident in distinguishing between Schaumglas & Ikora

Steven

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 07:56:31 PM »
Just when you thought it was safe to dip your toe in the foam............
I have looked up both names and seen examples similar to mine in both. Wow, this is not easy. Is there a foolproof way of telling whether it is one or the other. It seems to be unsigned.
Ronnie

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
Many books scanned and internet searches completed and I found an identical bowl listed and illustrated in an auction sale. It was described as WMF Ikora bowl so I guess that is what I shall call it. Many thanks for all advice.
Ronnie

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
Lots of Loetz Schaumglas is sold with the more generally familiar Ikora (default label), probably contributes to why the Schaumglas is worth so much more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand