No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crazy Vase on Stilts  (Read 2026 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »
The seller of this bizarre vase claims to have bought it in Italy 20 or 30 years ago.  It is cased glass (purple and white).  I wish the quality were better.  The glass on close inspection has some bubbles and blemishes.  Could it be anything?
Thanks,
Charles.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4e0t752.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/3ynq6qg.jpg

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
Romanian or Polish, modern. There is a link to the makers site here somewhere, sure one of our memory masters will find it.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »
Here is a post which refers to similar items:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6999.0.html
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Leni

• Members
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:54:51 PM »
There's one in the Financial Times Weekend 'How to Spend it' Magazine priced at just under £80   :shock:  :lol:
Leni

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
homage to h.g.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:19:44 PM »
Now THIS one is very War Of The Worlds.

Offline horochar

• Members
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:41:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm angry that my mother (who bought this for me) was lied to about origin, although I suppose they probably do sell Polish glass in Italy.  I think the Jozefina attribution is airtight, based on the pictures, although with this info. I wouldn't have paid $30 for it, as "otherworldly" as it is.   :cry:

Life goes on,
Charles.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
okay
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:44:09 PM »
I'm curious as to why you think $30 (USD) is a bad price for it? I don't, and I'd like to know your reasoning. Is it because you wanted an Italian piece that actually was Italian? In your opinion, what would a fair price for this be?

Offline horochar

• Members
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 04:05:28 AM »
Correct, I'm disappointed in it having been misrepresented to my mother (who bought it for my Murano glass collection) to be Italian and 20-30 years old.  This is not a knock on East Europe -- the Bohemians have a great tradition in glassmaking and the Czechs did some innovative, high quality work in the 1960s/1970 -- however the quality of this glass doesn't quite measure up to Carlo Moretti or Holmegaard, who did similar swirled cased white purples and reds up through the 1970s.  To answer your other question, it's hard to say what it's worth because similar forms are still in production, albeit perhaps not in this color combo and exact shape.  If they retail for $90 new, I suppose it could be worth $30 to $50 used, possibly more to the right buyer.  My biggest problem of all, I suppose, is storage, because it is extremely large and fragile.  I do find it interesting to look at, sort of macabre, but am not putting it on display in my house.  Unless, that is, I decide to throw a Haloween party.  It would look great filled with eyeballs.   :wink:

Charles.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
ghoulish
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 01:49:50 PM »
Yes, display and/or storage would be a problem. I like your Halloween concept. It's only 9 days away.

Offline CathyG

• Members
Crazy Vase on Stilts
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »
I've seen these vase on ebay quite often always attributed to Italian. I bought one of these about 5 years ago in a discount store here, T.J. Maxx.
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand