No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz fans and experts, ident required! large Cocktail shaker + glasses  (Read 4262 times)

Sklounion

Re: Loetz fans and experts, ident required! large Cocktail shaker + glasses
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
Hi Andy,
Can you clarify?
Do your pieces have the words "Made in Czechoslovakia" on them, rather than just "Czecho Slovakia" or "Czechoslovakia"?
Eddy's site makes it quite clear that  "Czecho Slovakia" in either an oval or square border are the appropriate Loetz marks, and the single word Czechoslovakia, without a box or oval border indicates Kralik, or other Czechoslovakian companies as users of that mark, including Gebruder Podbira.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
Hi Marcus,
this is the base of the drinking glasses,
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4381
They have 'made in' and then 'czechoslovakia' in 2 little semi circle boxes,(top left)
The shaker just has the shield of meridian silver and then this very very very faint
mark, which i think just says Loetz! I just tried 40 more photos but cannot even get anything this time!
Cheers Andy

ps if it reads Loetz, then there appears to be an extra mark after the z, as seen in the
picture that Glassic kindly cleaned up, although i still think that is upside down, i may again be
imagining it, but maybe its an artists mark, as on Eddys page, maybe an M? as he has pictured?

I could probably convince myself of anything, if i try hard enough!!

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
Time for a bump on this one with new bigger piccies, just managed to get a couple of mark
on base of shaker in the lovely February Sunshine.
I still think its Loetz :D

Cheers Andy
ps the link to Loetz.com
http://www.loetz.com/
i cant see the full url for the page on identifying signatures though :-\

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
photo of base of glasses, and a couple more for luck.
 8)

Offline Andy

• Members
This ones back again!
I had a desire to dismantle the top, looking for clues, i was very impressed by the manufacture
of all the metal parts. I found the red glass finial unscrews, very impressed that the screw
goes directly into the glass beautifully!  The red finial reminds me of onyx type glass used by loetz,
im sure it IS glass.
I wonder if the metal work was done in Bohemia, or by the USA company that did the silvering?
There are Craftsmen involved in all aspects of this piece ;)

Any ideas anyone? There are no marks on the metal work, just the silver on the glass 'sterling'.
Ive looked at the blown up signature again on the shaker , now i know more Bohemian makers,
Kralik ? Harrach? I still think its my original thought!
Any more ideas for the tango glasses, could be different maker to shaker? Pic 3 of base again,
I think its likely the 'made in Czechoslovakia' was added the same time as the rockwell mark, so
that means it was put on in the USA :huh:  (writing and silver looks the same!)

Sorry to keep returning to this one, but im not giving up 8)
Andy

Offline krsilber

• Members
Wow, that is a beautiful set!  And that's one heckuva big cocktail shaker.

According to http://www.loetz.com/ no Loetz is signed with the Loetz signature after 1903, and all Loetz sigs are engraved, so I suspect the written mark is either not Loetz or is fake.

Warren might be able to tell you more about the Made in Czechoslovakia mark.

Just for the heck of it, here's your stem with another Rockwell overlay pattern - unfortunately, this one is also unidentified:
http://www.glasshound.com/tango_cocktail_glass_rockwell_334.html
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Andy

• Members
Kristi,
youre right, Loetz.com says no loetz signature after 1903, how could i miss that  :-[ :-[ :-[
Going back to Marcus' first suggestion,  maybe signature reads Harrach??
Im thinking its ch at the end? It would explain the conflicts in date , signature etc.
Any Harrach collectors out there?
pics again of signature and base.
Andy

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Rockwell Metalwork & Silver Decorating was open from 1907 to 1978 although there are gaps so its thought they had a history of opening, closing & reopening, but they were not closed for any great length of time, maybe months then reopened & all the metalwork & overlay was done by them. Your set is found here in the US & is usually priced around $500-$600 with the glasses.

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi and thanks g-m-a,
Ive seen similar , do you mean exactly the same, and as big?
can you point me to a website?
Any ideas on which of the Bohemian manufacturers may have made the glass?
Regards
Andy :D

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Andy I've seen these in malls in the midwest...your decanter for instance is in Herat of Ohio Antique Mall...no glasses & priced at $250. I've seen them on eBay, Tias & Ruby Lane at times. This same Czech set is also found with the Rockwell Antelope, same Black Amethyst & Orange coloration & these (the Antelope) are very pricey...I see them at $750+. I'll check around to see if I can find the set on-line. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand