No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Colonial Blue Opalescent Lotus Dish Fenton?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Colonial Blue Opalescent Lotus Dish Fenton?
« on: November 11, 2006, 04:24:53 AM »
Sorry to post twice in a row, but at least I have a picture of this one and can avoid further wordiness. Actually, this one is amethyst and mine is blue, but other than that, they're the same. Any ideas on the maker? Is it Fenton? It seems recent to me, but that's just a guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330044168736

moderator: link shortened

Thanks!

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:39:37 AM »
Hello:

This is Fenton's Waterlily with Cattails introduced around 1905.  I don't believe that it has been reissued.

Sid

A proud Glasfax member - www.glasfax.ca

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:36:58 AM »
I agree with Sid. It's early - Fenton's Waterlily & Cattails" and the colour is amethyst opalescent.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 03:01:33 PM »
Hi,

I agree that it's old, but the name "Colonial Blue" is a color name Fenton used in the 1960s & 70s (during the Early American\Colonial decorating fad of the time) for a line of items done in what they called "Colonial" colors. I'm not sure what special name, if any they used for their older blue glass, but they seem to have a new name for colors each era.

This is Fenton Colonial Blue,

http://i15.tinypic.com/49j4z5z.jpg

Since your piece is Opalescent I suspect it's a lighter blue color. I only mention this is case you are thinking about selling yours, since you won't want buyers thinking in 1960s-70s Fenton prices. --- Mike

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Thanks!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:43:05 PM »
Thanks so much for letting me know. I'm excited that it's an older piece of Fenton glass. As to the color, I actually own some colonial blue fenton, so I'm not sure why I was confusing the color of this one. It's really almost a periwinkle blue. I had searched through my copy of The Standard Encyclopedia of Opalescent Glass multiple times for this pattern, and somehow I managed to miss it! But there it is, right on page 154. They just refer to the color as "Blue". Again, thank you. Mystery solved!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand