No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID on Uranium / vaseline Glass Pig  (Read 1179 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
ID on Uranium / vaseline Glass Pig
« on: November 11, 2006, 08:29:25 PM »
Hi
Any help on this little uranium / vaseline glass pig, he came from a charity shop , I am sure I may have seen similar pigs at antique fairs, would I be right in thinking they are Victorian, he measures 4" in length, the pig has what looks like a tool mark on the underside of his neck, and glows brightly under a UV light, shame about a chip to ear and missing end of tail

many thanks roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
I think that these vaseline pigs were made by Thomas Webb & Sons for an exposition in the early 1900s...the company actually had a mini glass-works set up on site to demonstrate glass-making skills to the public.
The pigs proved to be a very popular souvenir.
I don't have access to my reference books at the moment, so I can't provide exact details...but the book "Art, Feat & Mystery-the story of Thomas Webb & Sons,Glassmakers"  illustrates a similar example to yours, along with it's original packaging.
What a nice find to have in a charity shop! :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:48:26 PM »
Hi  heartofglass

Many thanks for that, I seem to remember seeing the odd one at fairs but was not sure who made them , and they were always priced just high enough to stop me buying one

regards roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand