Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Bohemia, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Austria

First reported - Inwald vase

<< < (2/2)

a40ty:
That is an amazing vase!
Although this type of glass isn't my area at all, may I hazard a guess as to why the type is so scarce? If an item has been  affordable, it was not "cherished" but used in everyday. Things that were used were more likely to be broken. Expensive things were put into cupboards and only used for sunday best.
As I say, just a guess :wink:

Glen:
Inwald's Carnival is harder to find than that of most other European makers. I suggest one reason is that they simply did not produce such a great quantity of it. Certain patterns are easier to find than others - Jacobean is possibly the one found most often - but even that is seldom seen.

I can confirm that Inwald's Carnival has been reported in the Netherlands, Denmark, France, the UK, Australia, the USA and Argentina. A clear export policy emerges.

Not much Inwald Carnival has been reported as found in Czechoslovakia. maybe (like Brockwitz) they felt that it would be more popular outside their own country.

Regarding the enamelled items from Inwald. The only place I have ever seen them is in Vienna - I am sure they went to many other places, but that's the only location that I have been able to observe them.

Glen

Sklounion:
Thanks, Glen,
It may be entirely possible, here in France, that much has not yet surfaced, as so many people who were born @ 1910 onwards have incredible life-spans here, and thus these items are still within the family. (It is not uncommon to read of people celebrating 80th wedding anniversaries, both partners over 100 years old).
Regards,
Marcus

Glen:
Marcus - yes, absolutely. Also, outside of English speaking countries, Carnival in particular is not fully understood / appreciated / valued (with the exception perhaps, of Scandinavia). The internet has changed that considerably, but it is still possible to come across exceptionally some rare items in flea markets etc.

Glen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version