No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help for a Blue vase- Hand holding Torch of Liberty -  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
ID help for a Blue vase- Hand holding Torch of Liberty -
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Recently acquired in a 'job lot' there are a couple of items that we just can't place. Perhaps our friends on GMB can offer a tip?

The sculpted vase in light blue is attractive but a bit 'literal' for Dutch taste ;-)

The iris dish is 25cm wide and seems to be good quality pressed glass with a satin finish on the design which results in a clearly defined 'engraved' effect.

www.hogelandshoeve.nl/index66.html
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:37 PM »
Hi Jay, cant say who this is but there is something similar on ebay, and they say it has some kind of mark? item number 290057659002, seller dreamsofgold 2006, sorry cant post link,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »
Perhaps Glen may know as it looks similar to the "Jain" vases?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »
Your iris is definitely an iris. Maybe Marinka can help with the hand

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:51 PM »
TC is correct that the Hand vase is very similar to the Jain (Indian) Hand vases - but I think a number of other companies made them (including Fenton). I don't think Jay's "Hand" is Indian.

The "torch" is often a cornucopia - horn of plenty.

Wish I could add more.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »
the torch is modeled after miss liberty (1886). Most vases are French or American. I believe they were popular until approx WW1 - perhaps later.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:38 PM »
Hi,

My Fenton books says that Fenton modeled their "hand vase, no mention of liberty) after an antique English version, but they don't mention the maker of that English version. *%$#&(*&^!!! when they do that :-) I have seen many opaque versions generically listed as Bristol Glass on ebay too, so maybe that's what they are talking about. --- Mike

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:19:06 AM »
Hi Jay,
I have 5 of this type of hand vase in my collection of over 80 hand vases.
Mine are a light "Depression" pink, a deep cerulean blue, & clear.
I also have a smaller version of the same mould in frosted pale green, & I have seen them in amber, clear frosted,cobalt blue,& pink frosted as well.
As I have so many different hand vases, I am familiar with the many variations in moulds used to make them. The original Victorian ones tend to be in opaque milk glass, usually white or turquoise, sometimes with painted decorations. Manufacturers were in France, Bohemia, U.S.A & England.
Hand vases enjoyed a revival of popularity during the 20th century, & the old moulds were reused. The later pressings are less crisp.
As for Fenton, they have made a variety of hand vases, both pressed & mould blown, on a regular basis over their 100 years of manufacturing art glass inspired by Victorian styles.
I think personally that the story of these vases being anything to do with the Statue of Liberty is a furphy- they were being made before the Statue of Liberty was even conceived of, in fact there was a pressed glass hand vase patented by John Derbyshire in 1874, two years before the Statue of Liberty was first given to the U.S by France, & 12 years before it was dedicated in 1886.
I think hand vases were first made in porcelain, particularly in Parian ware, by British manufacturers such as Worcester & Minton.
I have seen a very old Chinese vase that depicts a hand holding a fish, so perhaps this may have been an inspiration to the British porcelain designers. Of course, the conucopia, or horn of plenty is an ancient symbol of abundance from Greek mythology. These symbols of the Classical world were also inspirational to Victorian designers.
The hand as a symbol in Victorian design occured not only in vases, but also in many other items such as dishes & jewellerly. There is something both quaint & macabre about these hand items, which captures the Victorian sensibility perfectly- sentimental, yet a little bit gruesome!
Now, back to your vase, Jay. I actually feel that this particular vase is not very old, certainly not Victorian anyway. As I have mentioned, this type of hand vase occurs in a variety of "Depression" style colours & lacks the delicacy of the Victorian ones, which tend to be in opaque glass. One of these vases I have in my possession was purchased in Vietnam by the dealer I bought it from, & I feel that an Asian origin, & fairly recent date of manufacture is likely.
I hope this has been helpful! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:19:50 AM »
Quote from: "heartofglass"
... were being made before the Statue of Liberty was even conceived of, in fact there was a pressed glass hand vase patented by John Derbyshire in 1874, two years before the Statue of Liberty was first given to the U.S by France, & 12 years before it was dedicated in 1886.

the date absolutely ties in with the history of the statue; Bartholdi worked for many years on the design which was first presented in 1874. It was not until 1884 that a large version of the statue (the smaller one is in Paris) was shipped to the US, where it was assembled and commissioned in 1886.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
Hmmm.... It's interesting speculation to say the least and maybe these vases were inspired by the Statue of Liberty or the hand and torch used on the statue were inspired by something older. I mean;  Bartholdi is known for designing the Statue of Liberty, but were all of his ideas were original and not inspired by something else. Also; isn't there a Greek or Roman Statue of Nike with a torch in hand like that? I seem to remember that from somewhere. I also have to wonder why no early or later makers of these vases made an exact copy of the Statue of Liberty's hand and torch if that was where the idea came from.  Other than some cheapie souvenir shop  items from New York City  I have never seen a nicely made hand vase that matches the hand and torch of the Statue of Liberty. --- Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand