No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved W mark - Czech? German?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Engraved W mark - Czech? German?
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
I feel like I should know this glass mark (if it's the mark of a glasshouse) but it's evading me.  I'll put the whole item on here later, but if I do that now, then I won't have the fun of tracking the designer down!

My feeling is this item is Czech, due to the quality of the engraving - but I could be wrong.  :D  It's a rectangular block, clear glass, engraved paperweight.

Does anyone know what this double 'V' or 'W' mark is for?  If I do manage to track it down (doubtful, had no luck so far) I'll put the whole image here.  ;)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4401

I can't find anything about VW motorcycles...I've even looked to see if they sponsored a motorcycle race some time in the 1940/50's...

Volkswagen!   :P ??? :o

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Engraved W mark - Czech? German?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:26:01 PM »
To the best knowledge Volkswagen have never been involved with m/cycle racing: BMW, Auto-Union, DKW, NSU are a few German makes from the top of my head that did race competitively.

Of the Czech companies, I think there's only CZ (edit: & Jawa) but I'll need to search for this.

============

Delving a bit deeper, it would appear there is a link to the 'VV' initials to a m/cycle racing track in Estonia, called Vana Võidu - part of the former USSR. Racing started there in 1964 and the track closed in the late 1980s.

If you can post a photo of the object, Max, I might be able to give a rough date on the piece, going by any motorcycle featured.

============

If anyone can read Estonian:
http://sakala.ajaleht.ee/131004/esileht/5012841.php
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »
Hi Max,
Don't suppose this is of any help? ???
Cheers, John.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/BMW-VW/

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:59:13 PM »
Thanks David & John, I'm not sure Estonia fits the bill, but it's nearer than I got!  Thanks for the article on the BMW/VW motorbike John, is that chap a little bitter that his 'bike has gone' now?  lol

I've tried to take photos of the paperweight, but it's not easy in artificial light, plus it's heavy - so I used a torch...well, at least it made the engraving show up.  ::) It's signed 'Lejsek' I think.  Maybe you can date it from the bike?  It's pretty cool anyway, a piece of history.  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4404

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4403

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4402

I was thinking Czech because of the stylised tree in the background...maybe that's a style more than one country used though.
I am not a man

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »
The bike looks a bit generic and cartoonish to me ~ I've just been through my 'Classic Superbikes from around the World' book, but it could be anything from a 1930's Harley Davidson or Indian to a 1960 Triumph Bonneville! Is it a 'square' engine, or a V-twin?
Can rule out a few because of the side on which the exhaust pipe is, but that doesn't really help!  :(
John.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:16:28 PM »
Max, I'm not sure if this may be useful or not but here goes... on Wikipedia Germany there is a page about Drzkov here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr%C5%BEkov which is written in German (there isn't an English version it seems) but there is a sentence which reads: 
Nach dem 1. Weltkrieg kehrten die Bewohner zum Glasgewerbe zurück. Im Ort arbeiteten neun Schleifereien. Während der Besatzungszeit führte Antonín Lejsek die Herstellung des geschliffenen Glases und Kunstglases ein.
which IVO converts to:
After WW1 the inhabitants returned to the glass industry. Nine cutting shops operated in the village. During the occupation Antonin Lejsek introduced the manufacture of cut glass and art glass.....

This is the only mention I can find of a Lejsek connected to glass - I wondered if ground glass means engraved glass in this context. Perhaps Pamela could give us a better translation of the page text?  As Lejsek appears to be Czech perhaps Marcus would have info about him too?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
Ok,
From what has already been posted, this is engraved.
"geschliffenen Glases" can mean both cut and engraved.
Leave it with me, but this is a busy week-end, la chasse to-morrow morning, etc....
Will do my best in spare moments,
regards,
Marcus

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:33:28 PM »
Sorry, didn't realise you'd posted a photo. The motorcyle is not conclusive and can be disregarded - there's nothing to identify it with any make.

My thought is that if the Vana Võidu track is indicated by the 'VV' initials, perhaps it was a trophy made by one of the Czech glass companies. Over to you Marcus!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »
Just to throw a spanner into the works, during ww2, a lot of women on both sides of the comflict, were used as despatch riders? maybe another rout to explore ;)

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
I missed this thread over Christmas, but just saw Pip's link to it in another thread.

This may be a complete red herring, but the font and style of the signature immerdiately made me think of the Wiener Werkstatte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_Werkstatte). Ditto the stylised image.

Have checked my books and can't find any reference to Lejsek. But there is a Czech connection: all the WW glassware was produced in Bohemia. So maybe an influence on Lejsek?
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand