Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Ebony & Gold SS005

(1/4) > >>

romy:
Hi everyone, :)

I think I have an Ebony & Gold SS005 vase (identified via Frank's excellent website, and Miller's 20th Century Glass). It looks absolutely identical (which is why I haven't posted a photo) but I wonder if it might be a fake? Or even a reject? I ask, because it has no signature whatsoever, and isn't what I'd call a perfectly-made piece of glass (a bit rough and ready at the neck). This is the first piece of Ebony & Gold I've seen in the flesh, so this might be quite normal, of course. All replies gratefully received, even those confirming my worst fears - I only paid £6 for it, and it's very attractive, so I won't be hanging myself from the nearest tree!

Frank:
Hi,

The signatures were sand-blasted and can be very faint but some inevitably slipped through blank too. No idea what Stuart policy regarding seconds though, possibly out via staff or a factory shop?

romy:
Thanks for your reply, Frank. :)

Good news re. lack of signature, but not sure on the 'manufacturing flaws' (if that's what they are). Are you saying that the piece should be completely smooth, from base to top? Mine has what I can only call elongated vertical dents around the neck, as well as a couple of 'lumpy bits'. (Sorry to be so untechnical!) Is that normal?

Frank:
Yes smooth, top edge is cut and polished.

romy:
Thanks, Frank. :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version