No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LSA International - Polish glass  (Read 15492 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
LSA International - Polish glass
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 12:42:42 PM »
These are beautiful Gareth, thanks for the link. I've not come across Jablonski before so I was at a loss in this thread really, but I think I'm becoming a fan of this glassware also. :)

All I'd really seen before of Polish glass was that which my (Polish) stepmother had brought back with her from visits home over 20 years ago, and these were lovely too. Very attractive elegant wine glasses finished with what she said were platinum rims rather than gold (no pictures I'm afraid, and no chance of any either now). (OT - She brought me back some china with platinum rims also - the china isn't as good quality as English Bone China, but still very pretty designs.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »
Ivo doesn't need me to defend him but I will anyway. It's not easy to speak plainly when there is a chance it will offend but he does it and I respect him for it.

In the 9 months or so I was been a member here I have also learned to take what he says seriously and generally at face value. If he's not sure he says nothing or makes his uncertainty plain. His pronouncements are infrequent but have the gravitas of many years of painstaking and careful research.

Now I'm not saying that there are not others here who are to be taken less seriously. I'm just explaining Ivo's style to those you don't know him so well.

On the lack of links between Jablonski and LSA I think you can take his word for it. The only link perhaps being Poland. Equally his comment "quite considerable series" - a touch of diplomacy there.

Let's remember also that English is not his native tongue, while I happen to know he uses it better than many English people.  Dutch is a direct and plain speaking language  - I appreciate the trouble he takes in selecting from our huge vocabulary.

The link to the very large and very wide rage of Jablonski vase designs in fact bears him out. This selection illustrates that this is a significantly sized commercial operation - not studio production. Apart from consulting with gaffers on new lines, I doubt Mr Jablonski  has any part in production itself. So in that sense there will be no distinction between his production and that of the factory.

The vase designs are generally bright, cheerful and a few are a little adverturous but for the most part designed for popular appeal rather than artistic expression IMHO.

Leni you are NOT a cheapskate at all. It's just that newly made fine Art Glass in small series is very very expensive. Glass artists who produce in studio with small runs to technically exacting specifications do not have the economies of scale enjoyed by the Jablonski operation.

While buying any art is a matter of individual tase, over time one learns to appreciate the finer points - differences which may seem small but make a huge impact on the overall item.

The experience of Art Glass is, perhaps more than many other media, best "in the flesh". Even top quality photos can unintentionally mislead or rather not give an indication of the full range of color and effect of a piece - let alone the tactile element.

Some of the makers of those shown on the american link I sent may well also produce in larger series than a studio would but generally in smaller quantities than a full scale factory operation. I urge you to look very closely at some and compare.
Pete

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 03:28:46 PM »
Hi Peter

I dont think Ivo could have put it any more concicesly when he said " I just dont like their products" and surely only the ignorant or prejudiced might deign to argue with his absolute right to say so. My question to him was from interest in what it was he found so objectionable, particularly as others have an almost opposite opinion. As it is of current comment I would say that I see very little , if any, merit in the Whitefriars flavour of the month lumps..... and I suppose if pressed my argument would have little justification other than taste...and in whatever way that was considered.
I'd much rather spend over a £1000 on a vast array of other glass than a large banjo!!!.....I just dont get it but then quite happy to leave it for those who do.
Your link to the USA site was excellent....some very desireable pieces. In fact I was surprised at how inexpensive the pieces by Robert Eickholt are... and in line with one of your earlier comments is this because they have quite large production rates rather than studio ones??

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi Gareth
Terry would be much better placed to comment on Eickholt, both in terms of quality and quantity produced, as he has some pieces of theirs and is out glass hunting most of the time at week-ends - unlike me  :(  In fact thats what he's doing now (grrrrrr).

I don't think it's a question of finding Jablonski's designs objectionable in any way - more that just not as good as they could be for the money Thats my appraisal in a nutshell anyway.

Sometimes it's impossible to say why you don't like something. I don't like Victorian frilly stuff for example - it actually sends a shivver down my spine - but Idon't know why. ...something in my childhood perhaps.

I also happen to agree about Whitefriars. I'm not that impressed with much of their 50s 60s 70s stuff either. I don't dislike it - it just doesn't do it for me. However I have made it my business to find out about it, as much to satisfy my curiousity, as to what all the fuss and high prices is all about, than anything.

Altho I do quite like the Banjo - but not in any colors it was produced !!!
Pete

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 03:56:20 PM »
Just another thought having a wander through the expansive wastelands between my ears........where then does quality/quantity etc  place itself with regards to munufacturers such as Lalique Daum Orrefors and etc

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 04:02:33 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Ivo doesn't need me to defend him but I will anyway. It's not easy to speak plainly when there is a chance it will offend but he does it and I respect him for it.

As indeed do I Peter!   :)  

I have no problem with him not liking Jablonski's work, and I trust him to know what he's talking about if he says there's no link between LSA and the Jablonski Crystal Factory, although this was not clear to me in my first investigations into LSA.

This selection illustrates that this is a significantly sized commercial operation - not studio production. Apart from consulting with gaffers on new lines, I doubt Mr Jablonski  has any part in production itself. So in that sense there will be no distinction between his production and that of the factory.

I can understand that, but I having done further research now and seen various galleries which refer to Adam Jablonski being "awarded 12 gold medals" and examples of his work having been purchased by the Corning Glass Museum, I thought surely he can't just be producing "cheap, lumpy, mass-produced" glass, as Ivo sees it!    :shock:

Leni you are NOT a cheapskate at all. It's just that newly made fine Art Glass in small series is very very expensive.

Well, it's nice of you to say so, but I reckon I am, 'cos I'm not rich enough to be anything else, really!   :(   That's not to say I wouldn't LOVE to buy some of the glass on the link you sent - thank you, by the way - I have bookmarked it for when I win the lottery!   :roll:

I have to say I didn't like ALL of them by any means, and some I didn't like as much as some of the Adam J pieces - this one, for example (copyright the Polish Chamber of Commerce website, presumably ??)

But I wouldn't say no to a David Lotton Clematis Reflection vase or bowl, for example, if anyone feels like treating me  :lol:  

BTW, Still waiting to see if someone can tell me which factories LSA DO use!  :?

Leni
Leni

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 04:14:26 PM »
Gareth
If I were in the market for new glass I would not buy any of those three companies.
I would look for small studio producers which I'm not well up on but one which sticks in my head and heart is Blowzone
http://www.blowzone.co.uk/
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"

BTW, Still waiting to see if someone can tell me which factories LSA DO use!  :?
Leni

I am sure that LSA are not about to divulge who produces their designs - whether Krosno, Irena, Wresniak or any  of the other 60 glass works nobody ever heard of in Poland and really, it is of no consequence.  LSA supply the drawings and the stickers - the rest is strictly internal.  Another company working in the same style is Leonardo (Glaskoch, Germany). It does not matter to them if the wares are produced in Poland, Romania, India or China. It is just a matter or price and quality.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 06:15:48 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
I would look for small studio producers which I'm not well up on but one which sticks in my head and heart is Blowzone
http://www.blowzone.co.uk/

OH WOW!  That link WAS AMAZING!  Incredible art of any kind makes me cry....and those water features, the hands...the angels!

The most original stuff I've seen in an eon.  Ooooo that did it for me!  <big sigh>  Thanks!

Max xx
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2005, 06:21:38 PM »
Blowzone is of course Iestyn Davies who started out as a designer for Stuart Strathearn. Some examples are shown here LINK more will be added in the next few months, so you get an idea of the development he has made since then.

Just seen one on eBay 3780499876

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand