Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Ravenhead glass

<< < (2/9) > >>

chopin-liszt:
 ;D :o
I'm surprised about the ones on the site you show - that's a really common pattern, you can't get out of charity shops for tripping over it. fiesta/siesta?

I agree about Anette Meech's Apollo - it's wonderful. I got my first set from Boots, way back in the late '70's. It cost £3.45.  ;D
I'm currently trying to get together a full set of big ones, but they are not easy to come by. The wee ones are easier, often in their boxes. I have been on the lookout for them for years
I also like the Nevada mould blown glasses, and I use them all the time.

Pinkspoons:
The £30 set is Siesta (23cl), but the £35 set is from another range, I think, as it doesn't appear on the list of sizes on the Siesta box I have. Unless it was an earlier/later addition/excision to the range.

Heidimin:
Personally, I can't stand Siesta - maybe something to do with my parents having a set way after they stopped being fashionable! And £30-35 is way out of line with what they sell for on e-bay (if they sell at all).

But you all know about my passion for the screen-printed tumblers (even if they're not worth much - yet?  ;)), and other ranges such as Five Star (1968) and Vista (c1970) won Design Council awards in their time...

I think the £35 set may have been a later addition to the range, Nic. According to Lesley Jackson's C20th Factory Glass, Siesta was designed by Alexander Hardie Williamson in 1973 (the year before he retired) and added to by John Clappison in the later 1970s.

Pinkspoons:
I don't much like Siesta either, but I bought a few boxed sets for £1 on the off-chance that they do, one day, become collectable.  ;D

Thanks for the production info, though - it will be very useful when it comes around to selling them, or rather attempting to sell them!

Does the book mention the production years for the Apollo range, by any chance?

Connie:
Just because there is a price on the website and it is marked sold, doesn't mean they sold at that price  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version