No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: At last, a sticker = Theresienthal  (Read 3382 times)

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
At last, a sticker = Theresienthal
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:18 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300075657932

You often see these on Ebay, but this is the first I've seen with a sticker - It's by Theresienthal, unless anyone else knows different.

taylog1

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: At last, a sticker
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:17:49 PM »
That is most definitely not from the first half of the 20th century as the text claims; I also have some doubts if the sticker belongs to the object.
There are many different works who made nail mould vases in this style, but I've never seen one from Theresienthal. 

Offline taylog1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:22 AM »
Agree not first half of the 20th century.
I'm sure they are from somewhere in Germany  - I'm talking this very specific design with the angular shape towards the base.
I've seen a lot on Ebay over the years (virtually all on the German site), but this is the first with any label or mark on.
I guess we wait for some more with labels to pop up and test the hypothesis.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »
http://www.theresienthal.de/tthal/produkte/fs_produkte_1.html

check here for the traditional products from Theresienthal.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Nicht wahr mein herr! I too do not think this is therisenthal either. \looks czech to me from n\ovy Bor just post war! Bohemia copy of Whitefriars. You coudl send a piccy to the Glass castle Museum in Novy Bor to see if they can help. Czech or Black Forest bavarian.

Offline taylog1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:17:37 PM »
Interesting, there's another one just come up with the same sticker - same piece but also facetted.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095784886

I agree they look totally different to the stuff that Ivo linked to, did they maybe put their label on other factories output ?

taylog1

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:42 PM »
Hmmm! I like the faceted one ;)
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
I agree, possibly not Theresienthal, possibly still German, but I will argue, hardly an immediate post-war Czech copy of Whitefriars, (were Whitefriars making such items in the thirties?) made at Novy Bor. Whilst it is true that such fine control bubble work can be found in the Czech repertoire, the candidate factory would be Harrachov, at Novy Svet. This is where many of the controlled bubble solifleur vases, imported by the likes of Jaffe Rose, originated, and probably much dating later, from the 1960s onwards, and designed by Metelak.

It is no longer possible to ask the "Glass Castle" Museum at Liberec, otherwise known as the Glassexport A.S. collection, as it no longer exists as such, and the castle is now a very expensive hotel.

Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »
Sorry folks, the original vase is Theresienthal 769, made at nominal 20 and 30cm in 1968. In various colours, this purple is shown in their similarly designed ice bucket #782. The made other shapes and ashtrasys in the technique too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand