No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Paperweight C11G  (Read 9564 times)

Offline liberty1

• Members
Caithness Paperweight C11G
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:49:16 PM »
Hello this one for Frank I think. I have on ebay at the moment a Caithness paperweight clearly marked C11G so it is a second but an ebayer has informed me that ALL Caithness paperweights sold/bought in UK are seconds and only firsts were sent abroad. He/she grew up 16 miles from the factory (don't know which one) and swears this is so. I have my doubts on this one but not being a paperweight addict I ask the question True or Untrue?
Cheers
Doris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Caithness Paperweight C11G
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:21:20 PM »
Why on earth would Caithness do that?
Edited to add, seconds were discussed earlier in another thread, see caith ess paperweight by me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:34 PM »
Thats what I said !!
Doris

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »
I might be an ignoramuss as far as paperweights go but I have several pieces of paper, printed and sealed, that claims that some professors recon I know something about economics, foreign trade etc.
Your ebay friend might have got it wrong, in that the seconds were EXPORTED fom the UK.   This would make economic sense as they would, theoreticlly at least, have a lower value and if you include the cost of shipping a large lump of glass across a vast ocean they could them sell on the other side for a similar price. It would not make any sense to export the A1 quality and keep the "rubish" unless there was a great disparity in the manufacturing cost and the potential earnings in foreign exchange, as was illustrated by KWV wines from South Africa in the '70's to the '80's.
None of the above is based on fact, just a theory based on staring in to my overly expensive cristal (bought on ebay for $0.99) ball!!!!
Kind regards,
KarelM
ps shipping was $4.99
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
Doris, I'd say they were talking through their hat!   >:D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:19:39 AM »
What a strange concept! 

All perfect production would be shipped to wherever the order came from, whether UK or abroad.  Any seconds would be marked with the CIIG and either sold off cheap in the factory shop, or would disappear out of the back door or be thrown away. The only correct thing Doris's friend is suggesting is that only "firsts" went aboad as there would be no mechanism for seconds to go overseas.
Martin

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
Maybe it was a miscommunication. Somewhere along the line someone was told that "all Caithness C11G paperweights were sold in Britain", but took it to mean that "all Caithness paperweights sold in Britain were C11G"?

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
Thanks everyone it was just such a weird notion I had to ask. Having said that the C11G I have looks perfect to me  but paperweights isn't really my thing so my knowledge is nil.
Cheers
Doris

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
My understanding is that the classification of a Caithness weight as a second, was that somewhere within the making, one or more elements was not in accordance with the design but that the overall work was good enough to sell.

The part(s) that were not perfect could be things like a main colour not being full enough, bubbles misaligned slightly, twists or swirls being off-centre and so on. It is often the case that a second quality weight would not show much of a clue as to why it was rated as such, unless it was compared closely with a perfect example.

So, never be surprised to find a Caithness CIIG weight that looks really good.
KevinH

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:32:54 PM »
My understanding is that the classification of a Caithness weight as a second, was that somewhere within the making, one or more elements was not in accordance with the design but that the overall work was good enough to sell.

The part(s) that were not perfect could be things like a main colour not being full enough, bubbles misaligned slightly, twists or swirls being off-centre and so on. It is often the case that a second quality weight would not show much of a clue as to why it was rated as such, unless it was compared closely with a perfect example.

So, never be surprised to find a Caithness CIIG weight that looks really good.

It's the same thing with most seconds I think, with porcelain I have had marked seconds (Doulton, Lladro etc.) figurines, that I can't find a thing wrong with.  Fabrics may have an odd slub that shouldn't be there.

Generally, I think as you say, Kev, it is a question of something to do with the design rather than a fault in production.  If there was an obvious flaw, the item would be a third for sale to staff only, or thrown away.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand