No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso cat -can anyone help me date it?? and where to list  (Read 1772 times)

Offline janettekay

• Members
Hi all,
Posted this on Ebay PGP Board-suggested I come here....

Purchase paperweights at auction last night (and spent way too much $ (but that is another story)--and this cat was in one of the lots...I am out of my expertise with Murano glass--can anyone help me.????
This black and white cat is 6 1/2" H. Has red foil label AND is also marked on base.
I would love to be able to date this piece and know what category for listing --art glass, paperweight,,?????
Also -how do I describe type of glass ??
TIA

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jjjleber/album/576460762388270705

janette
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give!

Offline chuggy

• Members
Re: Archimede Seguso cat -can anyone help me date it?? and where to list
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »
Hi Janette
I had a whole collection of these black and white Seguso animals which I recently sold off, so I'll fill you in on them as best I can, though Javier also has a nice collection and may add a bit more later on.
There appear to be two variations of these, the earlier ones which date from the 1960's have applied "black" facial features, nose, ears etc, and are always unsigned apart from the labels. There is a later variation that lack the applied facial features and from the pictures it appears that yours may well fall into this category and these date from the 1980's, possibly running into the early 1990's, and some have acid studio marks.
There was also a smaller range of animals made in red and black and all of these I've had have a shinier outward finish, though with applied features and all have the labels and are unsigned.
They are usually described as marbled pasta glass.
I would list it under the Murano section making sure you include Archimede Seguso in your title.
Hope all this helps
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:14 AM »
Well, this one might be from the 60's too, since it has the scalloped label.
It could be that it just didnt sell earlier on in it life, and was later signed too.
That does happen with Murano items... you can see later labels and signatures on clearly earlier pieces.
Some just dont sell and are kept at the stores or at the glass houses and later sold.
By the way, I have a collection of these like Paul mentioned, so if you ever want to sell the cat, please let me know! :D I have a 3 dogs but no cats yet. :(
Javier

Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »
Thanks to you both!! I do so appreciate your time and info....
As I said-I am clueless when it comes to Italian glass-my paperweight collection(of well over 100) is almost all American and now after this auction (lots of Perthshire-some of which I will be listing )...my other love is cut glass --and I don't have enough time to research those collections--so can't bring myself to start loving Murano -(at least not yet!!!).
Javier-I will be selling sometime this week---I must recoup some of my auction spending to cover my other glass "addictions"!!!! Teehee....
janette

ps- if you think of anything else-don't hesitate to post or email me

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »
javier
see your emails
janette

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia