Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Unresolved Glass Queries

Lidded butter dishes...REWARD OFFERED! (Plus, more Nazeing and other glass)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lustrousstone:
Round seems to be very common for vintage butter dishes, for example the Bagley carnival one from the 1930s, many, if not all, of the 1930s US Depression ones, the European carnival ones, the Whitefriars example I found...

nigel benson:
Hmmm,

Butter, butter everywhere,  but not a glass to drink............. :D

Stephen very kindly brought a blue example of the butter dish to the Cambridge Glass Fair on the 18th of last month. Its construction was very interesting indeed. The rib, or flang that the lid sits on is at 'right angles' to the body of the vessel, such that it is paralell to the surface that the dish is standing upon. When the lid is removed the body of the vessel continues on a curve above the flang. It finally finishes with a polished rim that is also paralell to the surronding surface.

This is not consistant with the W/F 1957 catalogue illustration of a butter dish(?), which has an upward curving rim to its base. The lid's knop handle is also markedly different, having horizontal shaping around its mid-point.

Having been lucky enough to handle Stephen's blue example I have to say that the intensity of the blue reminds me of nothing British, but rather, as I suggested on the day, it is consistant with the work of Sandvik (Orresfors). Whether or not the other colours conform to this source is another question. Other contenders to the blue colour could be Czech, or even Murano - I have candlesticks that have that same intensity.

Nigel 

sph@ngw:
Andy McConnell cameto stay recently and saw all four colour butter dishes. he feels they are CZECH/ EASTERN EUROPEAN....in fact the intenseness and quality, particulary of the blue and smoke make him think of Riedel immediately post war. I might ask Corning Glass Museum, they may ahve soem catalogues and if there is not one in their collection, they might welcome one!

NazeingResearch:
Bumping thread with new photographs and dimensions. Hopefully this will help setlle the identity of these butter dishes (if thats what they are at all)

Dimensions:

14.5 cm Diameter, 12.5 cm High (from base to top of lid)
5.75 Inches Diameter, 4.75 Inches High (from base to top of lid)

Any ideas?

sph@ngw:
Cat is probably right, especially if these do date from the late 1940's early '50s! Women used a "powder puff dipped into a bowl of talc face powder (I'm sure you are all FAR too youg to remeber!).  Also butter came in slabs not round "churn" shaped barrels.
I just call them butter dishes as that is their ideal current usage.
How on earth has one of our cats, ( the ginger one called 'Chablis' as he starting licking Chablis out of the glasses when a kitten!) managed to lean to flip of the glass lid on the dining table when no one is looking and lick the butter? I though cats did not have opposable thumbs!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version