No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Fenton Glass  (Read 12961 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Dating Fenton Glass
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:46:06 AM »
I have often read that "all Fenton glass after such and such a date, is clearly marked on the base with the Fenton logo."   This past fall my wife and I visited the Fenton Factory, where we purchased quite a quantity of glass, some of which was marked, and some of which was devoid of any marking.  As such, glass collectors should be aware that the lack of a Fenton logo, is not a reliable indication of age.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Dating Fenton Glass
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
Not all Fenton's glass has their oval cartouche with the words Fenton inside. Sometimes they make glass using moulds that they have purchased, or do not own. In this case they use the letter F in a small oval.

Pieces are not always marked on the base, sometimes the trademark will be elsewhere. The F on their Peacocks Vase, for example, can be very hard to find
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
Glen:

All I can say is I have two of the pieces sitting here on the desk as I write.  The first is a satin glass rose bowl, the second, a large iridescent stretched glass bowl, neither of which have any molded manufacturer's mark or blemish indicative of an obscured mark, inside or out.  I do not know who's molds may have been used in production, but I can assure you both were purchased at the factory store in November of 2006.

Paul 

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
I'm not doubting you in any way, Paul. I'm just giving the info re. trademarks that I currently know. Your observation is certainly something that we need to be aware of. I'll make some enquiries.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:03:37 PM »
Paul, I believe that all Fenton items since the 1980s are marked somewhere. The only exception would be if a new mould was sampled to determine the mould's final approval and that sample ended up as one-of-a-kind in the Fenton giftshop sometime later. This would be rare.

There's always a possibility that the Fenton mark has been fire polished and consequently is very shallow and hard to see. That does happen.

Can you let me see photos of the pieces? My Fenton "contact" has offered to check the location of the logo through the mould makers for you.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 06:05:40 PM »
One further possibility, Paul. Could your pieces be non-Fenton? I understand there are some items that are not made by Fenton in the gift shop (they are not represented as Fenton manufacture).

Photos will sort it all out, I'm sure  :)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:47:36 AM »
Glen:

My camera has been giving me grief but I managed a few pictures before it quit working altogether.  I believe the link will take you to the first photo, and then you can click through the remainder.  If that does not work, I will have to try again.  Wrong!  the link takes you to the first photo in the album - that I don't know how to correct.

Not showing in the photo of the larger bowl is a paper label with the following numbers which may, or may not, mean anything - 019727571793 and 4529 9N  (The price was $75.00 and the paper tag also has the letter F in a circle.)  As can be seen in the photo, this piece also has the Fenton 100 years paper label. 
The cased glass rose bowl with interior mellon ribs cost $89.50 according to our reciept, but the tag must have fallen off.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:09:18 AM »
Thank you, Paul - I can view all of them. I do recognise the blue, footed bowl as a Fenton pattern. I'll get back to you on this shortly.

Connie

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Both of those pieces should be marked.

The satin pieces are notorious for being very difficult to find the mark.  Run your finger over the bottom very lightly.  Sometimes you can feel the mark rather than see it.  Or hold it at a slant to a good light source - it can be very faint.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
I have the full answer for you, Paul, courtesy of Howard Seufer and Mike Hill (Quality Control Manager).

The blue Leaf pattern bowl does have the Fenton logo (Fenton in an oval cartouche). The logo is on the mould and so will be on the bowl, but as explained above, sometimes it can be very difficult to spot for various reasons. Howard has sent a photo that will show you how to locate it - the "Fenton" logo is on the underside, sloping surface of the marie (collar base), on the Leaf bowl - halfway between two of the legs.

Now it seems that the rose bowl was missed. Here's what Howard said: "The red rose bowl should have had a sandblasted logo on the base. That lot was evidently routed directly from the finishing department to inventory instead of moving to the logo imprinting operation. I talked with Mike Hill the Quality Control manager. He said that the logo should have been on both pieces.   

Pulling inventory, he showed me that the shiny (not sand-blasted, satin finished) bowls had the script "F" logo sandcarved into the outside bottom. He is correcting the error on the existing inventory and checking the specifications for the proper routing.

Additionally, the logo was not in the mould's bottom plate; but should have been. Since this is not a Fenton-originated mould, perhaps it slipped past the mould shop's inspection."

Here are Howard's photos
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Fenton_Logos.html

So, thank you Paul, for bringing the matter to Fenton's attention, with regard to the rose bowl.  And hopefully you'll be able to spot the Fenton logo on your blue Leaf bowl (you know where it is located now, but of course, it may be very faint).

And I'd like to thank Mike Hill at Fenton, and especially Howard Seufer (Fenton expert) for their help.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand