No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat Vase ?? Or swapped label?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Baccarat Vase ?? Or swapped label?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 03:29:07 PM »
It's OK Cat... Personally, I think Baccarat are the fools as any tourist taking home imported glass from Baccarat, is telling all of their friends that they have a whisper Baccarat glass. Their friends look at it and think,  ::) "pfft so this Baccarat stuff looks no better than the cheap glass in the florists shop."

On top of which they have now managed to get their name associsted with snobbery and nouveau-riche (negative sense) taste, a great shame considering Baccarat were a great glassmaker and is now just another commercially exploited brand name - regardless of how good current production may be. Oh and of course they sell glass through Franklin Mint too ;D ;D ;D so add comedy to their list of present day attributes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »
I recently saw one of these in a charity shop with a white oval sticker outlined in blue which stated made in china :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
I recently saw one of these in a charity shop with a white oval sticker outlined in blue which stated made in china :-\

Oh Dexter! Wish I'd seen it, any likelyhood it is still there?  I just knew it wasn't Baccarat,  but came to the conclusion it was probably a souvenir from the area rather than made at the Baccarat glassworks.  Could that explain the use of Vessiere "a" Baccarat as opposed to Vessiere "o" Baccarat?   Its not that I'm a doubting Thomasina, but I just like to see something myself, you know what I mean I'm sure.
It was comforting to see that you all came to (mostly) the same conclusion.

Thankyou all for your replies on this, for me this is all part of the fun of identification.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 08:10:17 AM »
Hi Pat, i will be in that area tomorrow, and shall have a look to see if it is still there, but like a lot of Chinese product's it could be a copy.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 04:25:27 PM »
Thankyou Dexter

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
Hi Pat, sorry vase was gone, but i will keep my eye out for any more and let you know, but i am sure of the sticker, and i am amlost sure they are chinese.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »
Thank you all for your replies, I will let you know if I ever find one with a label.  Thank you so much for checking Dexter I do appreciate it.  As far as I am concerned they are Chinese I just want to see it! ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand