No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina wheel shaped paperweight/sculpture, early or recent?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
A nice very heavy Mdina wheel shaped paperweight or sculpture, 1.3kg.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5216
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5215
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5214
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5213
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5212

polished smooth on one side, not the other, and a slice off the side with 'Mdina' to
stand it up. I bought it on ebay, but couldnt tell what shape it was until it arrived,
a nice surprise. Ive never seen the shape before, and last week on ebay , i saw another,
the seller also thought it was rare and unusual, i planned to watch it to see what it made,
but ended up buying it, as it sold for around £10, so now i have a pair!

So, is it early and unusual, or more recent?? Anyone else seen this shape? ???
( I now expect 50 of you to say youve all got one!) ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Unusual Mdina wheel shaped paperweight/sculpture, early or recent?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »
Hi Andy, I've seen one of these - a few weeks ago at Kempton Market.  I picked it up  because it looked so nice and tactile (and heavy) but I put it down again without asking the price because the dealer selling it is always very expensive - I've given up asking him prices.  Can't say more than that at the moment though but I'll have a look in some books tomorrow and see if it's mentioned anywhere.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
Thanks Pip,
ive got a few of the tall 3 sided obelisks,and see them all the time!
maybe ive just missed these and theyre as common as the seahorses! :(
They will make great bookends! :D
Andy

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »
Hi there,
I've seen only a couple of these too, and believe you're right in thinking they aren't too common. Well, certainly not as common as the seahorses, which may even outnumber the real thing! Maybe they were too expensive or heavy for many people to buy - who knows. I think it's a later piece, judging by the colours, although I don't know exactly when from - probably the 1980s at the earliest. Another variation I have seen almost has a stylised 'flower' design inside, in browns and ochres, but that may be earlier.
Whatever the date, it's a big colourful hunk o' glass and rather appealing, I think. I can imagine what you mean Pip, about it feeling comfortable in the hand. I have a very large and very heavy IOWSG Tortoiseshell-type paperweight/doorstop holding down the ever-growing mound of papers on my desk - when I'm on the phone it's often nice to turn over in my hand and play with. I'd think this one would be too. I'd imagine it would also look rather smart masquerading as a sun-catcher type thingie, sitting on a windowsill.
All the best,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:33:12 PM »
Hi Mark,
this is the one ive just bought, not here yet! its more of the stylised flower shape
than the other, but still in the blue.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140084773063

Cheers Andy

ps. the little 3 sided ink bottle in pic 1, any idea of date for that design?

mod: shortened link

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »
Mark said:
I'd imagine it would also look rather smart masquerading as a sun-catcher type thingie, sitting on a windowsill.

That might not be a good idea Mark.  I had a large sculptural piece of glass on a chest of drawers last year, and whilst polishing the surface of the furniture, I discovered burnt in 'sun tracking' marks on the wood!!   :o :o  Could've been verrrrry nasty!  :-X

I am not a man

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
I nearly set fire to the table at a car boot the other year... I hadn't thought about the sun coming in through the weights, and had them set out on a dark blanket for protection.  When we looked over and saw about 30 little plumes of smoke we sort of moved them quickly.

We must have looked very silly bashing out all the little charred spots.

So last year, we had big umbrellas over all the glass, not a lesson you need to learn more than once.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »
I nearly set fire to the table at a car boot the other year... I hadn't thought about the sun coming in through the weights, and had them set out on a dark blanket for protection.  When we looked over and saw about 30 little plumes of smoke we sort of moved them quickly.

Reminds me of my childhood. We lived in a split level. One day my mum came home and noticed a burn line along about the mid-point of the upstairs bathroom. She was livid. What had we done with a cookie sheet that was so hot it burnt the door...

We finally figured out that the sun, coming in the bathroom window, was then reflecting off her magnifying make-up mirror and reflecting the heightened sunlight onto the door, then as the sun moved from east to west, the burn line moved across the door.

Then she apologized and then we finally were able to laugh about her accusations  :)

Carolyn

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
Well, I never knew it could get that bad! I forgot, I have linen blinds up at my windows to filter the sunlight and to stop people from looking in :-)
I was thinking of removing them, but well, I had better think again considering the amount of glass I have on the sills! In the strong sun my apartment could end up looking like something from Tron!
Thanks for the warning,
M.
Text and images © Mark Hill

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi Mark,
just while youre on line and being a bit cheeky, i bought these on ebay at the weekend,
i think ive done good ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220086316322

early inside out vases ???
Andy :D

ps if ive done ok, its thanks to your lovely book ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand