No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Gammon  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Thomas Gammon
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »
Could this be Thomas Gammon ? i noticed Anee E.B's glass it has a very different stem and foot.
It is 4 ins tall, the foot has three seam's and the point's on the bowl are crisp almost sharp.

I have just noticed, there is a seam running up the stem to the base of the bowl where it stop's at the first row of point's.

Any help most appreciated.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Thomas Gammon
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
Sue — See topic Optic pressed ale glass = (Rummer) Thomas Gammon (Important).

It shouts Gammon's 12 October 1849 suite at me.   See the seam at the top of the decorative lozenges just below the rim, separating the 3-sided mould from the plunger, particularly clear in your second photograph.   Much later Davidson brought this technique of using the plunger to mould the rim to heights of perfection, and used it until the factory closed.   Obviously the rim was moulded vertically and thins slightly towards the top, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get the plunger off.   It was then flared, probably with a conical former, although these early pieces could have been flared by hand, holding the foot in a gadget.

If there is a registration lozenge it will be sideways on at the base of the decorative lozenges by the stem, not on the inside.

Again I make the point that this suite demonstrates an unexpected level of sophistication in its manufacture, showing that British glass houses were substantially more advanced in 1849 than previously thought.

Nice find Sue.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Thank you Bernard, there is no registration lozenge  :-\ but it is lovely

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
Great find Sue :clap:  They have a wonderful feel to them don't they. :)
Anne E.B

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:04:50 PM »
Super Anne, just contemplating what to do with it now?

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
Ditto  ;D
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
Quote from: Sue C
Super Anne, just contemplating what to do with it now?

Use it.   This suite is eminently practical, a joy to use.   We once used two Gammon jellies when doing a posh dinner for four, and I could find only two custard cups for the real custard dessert — you should find a recipe in an old Mrs. Beeton or on the web.   Ours was flavoured with real vanilla (black specks).   Fabulous.

A friendly client entertains every now and again and has all my slow-moving pressed rummers.   His guests love them, they are all different so each has his or her own for the whole party, and they are a talking point (each comes with its own information card, which the guest can keep as a momento).   Why be conventional and use matching crockery, cutlery and glass?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »
That's a great idea Bernard and fits in with my decor - where nothing matches ;D
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand