No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hadeland - the poor relation?  (Read 21194 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Hadeland - the poor relation?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
I watched that auction as well.  It didn't rock my boat....fortunately enough  ;D otherwise I'd be very jealous. It's beautiful but not my cup of tea, but certainly it seems to have been a special piece for a few, even with a fleabite on the rim.
m

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Willy Johansson’s spiral vase, as it is known, probably had Norwegian bidders mainly, as it’s one of the iconic Hadeland pieces here. This model was made from 1952 until 1958, at a time when Johansson and other Hadeland designers were regularly awarded top prizes for their glass at the Milan triennale. As a rule, only 25 pieces were to be made of each model in their art glass range, but if demand exceeded that, exceptions were made, certainly in the case of the spiral vase. Still you’d be hard pressed to find maybe 50 of them, and many are of course chipped. Museums are queing for this vase, it’s top of the list for any Norwegian glass (or indeed design) collector, and the dark and slanted ebay photo really didn’t do it justice. As you can probably tell, I’m the happy owner of a perfect piece.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
I couldnt believe the title to this thread when i first saw it , still cant it goes like hot cakes . :phew:

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
I was lucky enough to pick up this fabulous etched / engraved Hadeland bowl a while ago:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NordicEye/NorwegianGlass?feat=directlink

The decoration would seem to be a combination of etching and engraving.
From the research I've done I think it was a gift from Norwegian news agency Norsk Telegrambyrå to Reuters in 1951 (which makes sense because that was Reuters 100 anniversary).

It's signed on the base in a very delicate script "Hadeland Norway / H.B. 1951 T.G." Hermann Bongard?

Robbo
robbo

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Yes, that would indeed be Hermann Bongard. He was at Hadeland from 1948 until 1955. The initials TG would be the engraver, but I can’t help you there, I’m afraid. I agree it’s a gorgeous piece. Congratulations! Shame on Reuters, though, for not looking after it!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
WOW that is amazing , i want it  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
I couldnt believe the title to this thread when i first saw it , still cant it goes like hot cakes . :phew:

Well...............we did start it in February 2007 ..............things were a little different then!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
I love Hadeland glass, as long as it is the hand blown stuff and not the 'pressed' type glass.  My lovely hedgehog was featured here recently.....I got it on  Australian eBay!!  :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
That looks really cute!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 09:27:43 PM »
throwing in the clear variant - and his flatmate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand