No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val St Lambert Glass Dagger/Sword Letter Opener  (Read 3584 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Val St Lambert Glass Dagger/Sword Letter Opener
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »
Yesterday I had my paws on what I would have described as a glass sword - I thought it might be a ceremonial thing for maybe cutting a wedding cake.  I would say it must have been around 20" long.

Last night I was flicking through Miller's Collecting Glass (Yates) looking for something else, and on page 160 I saw the identical piece - described as a letter opener by Val St Lambert - but with no measurements.

I wondered if anyone could give me any more information as I rather liked it and might pop back later today.  I have trawled ebay and googled it too, also tried the VSL website (I emailed their info addy while I was there), but cannot find a glass sword/dagger/letter opener anywhere.

Thank you for looking
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Val St Lambert Glass Dagger/Sword Letter Opener
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
Flipping big letter to need a letter opener 20 ins long???

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »
Glass swords are not unknown, Cat. Ray Annenberg made fourteen at Whitefriars Glass... see the story on his son, Paul's, website... http://www.thru-the-lookinglass.co.uk/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
Flipping big letter to need a letter opener 20 ins long???

For all those really big  bills  ;D (could also be used for harakiri afterwards  :-X)

(apologies for irresistible, compulsive wibbling  :-[)

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
I was thinking it might be useful when the postman rings my doorbell insistently at 8am when I went to bed at 5am..................

The letter opener idea was in Miller's - I can't see how you could open a letter at arms length - I have enough trouble finding the little space for my tiny letter opener.  But it would look great in wedding cake cutting pics.  Maybe I should buy it and hire it out!

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 12:28:31 PM »
At 20 inches, its practical use is more likely to be a page turner like the ivory ones that pop up on Antiques Roadshow - that is if it had a use. How to read your Sun without gettiong dirty hands >:D . Glass lettuce knives can be found but they are not so long

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »
full size crystal swords are the speciality of Sardinia crystal. the VSL item may have been a miniature?

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
Ivo - would that be the Sardinia Crystal some of whose work you described as "a waste of good crystal"?! :P

I just wanted to clarify the size - I didn't measure it but I estimate it would have been about 20".  It was identical in every way to the one in the book - even the dark purple handle.  Unfortunately the one in the book doesn't have a size given.  I was hoping their might be a VSL book/catalogue which included this item and the size.......and that somebody here might have it.  We'll see what happens!

Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »
It sounds like something I could have said but honestly I can not remember. >:D

I looked up swords in the full VSL catalogue from the year 2000 - but there are none.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:57:19 PM »
I couldn't resist it............(well I had to go back and get the Hadeland decanter anyway)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0795.jpg

Hilt :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0796.jpg

Actual size 18.5" (I really really really want to do that old 6 inches joke here but I'm terrified of being banned!).  Obviously as much use as a chocolate teapot!

It is identical to the one in Miller's, and they seem to be scarce enough that I could justify the purchase even if I only keep it a little while.

Cat
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand