No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber Water Jug and 6 Glasses Bagley  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Amber Water Jug and 6 Glasses Bagley
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 07:47:56 AM »
Hi Roy Are you looking for your Sowerby tumblers with or without uranium? I'll keep my eyes open.

Looking at these face jugs and tumblers (in this message and the other one), the colours certainly look very Bagley. I'm wondering more and more if there aren't quite a few undocumented items out there. I and one of the Anne's have a two part green uranium dish and I've seen and handled a green candlestick, both of which are dead ringers for Bagley green uranium stuff. I would even go as far as to say the candlestick was Queen's Choice, except there isn't supposed to be one - but why just make a powder bowl and nothing else for the dressing table.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind offers of looking out for the tumblers, it would be the uranium ones, I think I will not worry too much about them now as I think the face ones are much more intersting and harder to find, if I see any Sowerby tumblers of any colour I will purchase them as I am sure there are many people on the GMB looking out for them to make up sets

Roy

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »
I think I must be the only person on the GMB who doesn't know what a Sowerby tumbler looks like.  There are only 3 on ebay - a uranium daisy, victorian flint, and a malacite one.  If anyone has a picture of a "typical" Sowerby tumbler it would be mych appreciated.

Thank you
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 06:11:14 AM »
Hi Cat,
What's being discussed is not 'a Sowerby tumbler', but Roy's Sowerby tumblers, which are from the 2550 water set and match this jug: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-895
They're not generic. Cheers!

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Amber Water Face Jug and 6 Glasses Walther ?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
I thought I bring this topic up again as to the mystery maker of the Face jug and beakers, I have a complete set in amber and keep looking for a maker with no luck, I have now purchased a complete set in satin blue, I just happened to put the set next to a Walther blue muschel mermaid base and I have say that the colour looks 100% identicle match, is it not possible they may have been made by Walther, I know there are many Walther catalogues and that they do not appear in any, but is it still a possibility they may have been made by Walther

Roy 

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 07:51:06 PM »
Re the Sowerbys jug and tumblers.  Although I have no first hand knowledge of the subject, I would guess that pressed water sets never really caught on.  The tumblers were pretty horrible to drink from and I suspect that, once lighter, blown tumblers became available again after WW2, that was the end.  However the jug was certainly still made in "my" time, although not in huge numbers.

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand