No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue hyacinth (?) vase.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Blue hyacinth (?) vase.
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5775

This is a lovely blue/turquoise colour vase which I think is quite old.  It's quite light and delicate, with a snapped off pontil.  I can just about insert three fingers into the top of the neck (Ivo's test for hyacinth vases if I remember correctly :D). 

Just a couple of questions.  Is it definitely a hyacinth vase?  I've been unable to find a similar looking vase anywhere.  Secondly, its age - could it be Victorian?  Lastly - any ideas as to where it might have originated please?

Not much to ask eh ::) ;D
Many thanks in advance ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: Blue hyacinth (?) vase.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »
I know this post is a few years old now but I've just returned to this message board after not looking for a while so I'm reading all the "hyacinth vase" posts I've missed.

I don't think it's a hyacinth vase. It's not like any other I've seen (some photos are at my web site www.hyacinthvases.org.uk). It may well work as a hyacinth vase but I don't think it was made as such.
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Thank you Juli.  Its never too late ;)
Absolutely wonderful website! - I shall enjoy looking through it :clap: :hiclp: and your cat is so cute.
Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
Juli  -  my compliments on a very interesting collection :) they really do make a good area for study, and what fantastic colour.  For what it's worth I am inclined to say it is a bulb vase - think I remember being taken to task by, possibly, Pamela for saying Hyacinth, whereas we are apparently supposed to say just 'bulb' vase (hope I have that right) - I can't think of any practical reason for the bulbous neck, other than a bulb, although the frills are a bit OTT.     I've learned that it's always fatal to say 'not like anything I've seen before'  - someone will always prove you wrong. ;D   I especially like the labels on them.   From my days of bug collecting I always remember the instruction that it's not the dead insect on the pin that matters  -  but the data labels, they are much more valuable.   Don't think black is my favourite colour for a pussy, though.   Know I shouldn't add to other people's posts, but do you think the attached is a bulb vase? - it's pressed, of course - Reg. No. 817496 (Jules Lang & Son) first registered on 12.01.37  -  and have you yet grown one upside down.?  Anyway very much enjoyed reading your post. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:29:13 AM »
Again it's hard to say but I don't think your pressed glass vase was made as a hyacinth vase (I do use the term hyacinth because it indicates the size. If it's a smaller vase for crocus bulbs or acorns then I'd call it a crocus vase. To me "bulb vase" is too general, IMHO). That's not to say it couldn't be used for force a hyacinth - it would probably look quite nice. Not enough is known about hyacinth and other bulb vases or we'd be able to say for sure.

I've only seen that historical print with the upside down one. I can't say I'm inspired to recreate it.
Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand