No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VERRERIE Glasshouse, St. Albans. CATALOGUE....... Circa 1975. Update c 73  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: VERRERIE Glasshouse, St. Albans. CATALOGUE....... Circa 1975.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »
Hi Frank,  My original date for the catalogue is now wrong. That date was based by me on what Terry Blackshaw had thaught when he gave me the catalogue.Maybe better to say (Circa 1973 )
John King has no idea how long Verrerie had been established in St Albans.
I have not looked at Biot yet, when was it started ? Please excuse me for asking but my internet connection does not cope with any indepth research and the local library is closed tommorow.
Where do you think Jean Paul ?? went to , did he possibly return to France ?
 Regards Patrick.
 Ps Perhaps you could amend the title of this subject please......to the revised date line.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Biot started 1956, see earlier in this thread. Jean-Paul is usually a christian name.

So it probably involves a trip to company house (If Ltd Co, or registered as trading as, which used to need registration in 70's)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Hi,  I am going to look at       Jean-Paul Van-Lith
 There seems to be a glasshouse in Biot with that name.
 Regards Patrick.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Jean-Paul who turns 67 this year has been working in Biot since 1975. Before that he worked at various glass makers around Europe. He is a well respected artist whose techniques include thermoforming, fusing, enamel, cutting, polishing, sanding and assembly. Note: no blowing. His work is included in several important museum collections.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Possibly a coincidence of name. Even though the 1975 date makes sense it comes across as odd that he was with Biot since then. Did the designs come first from Biot or St Albans, if Jean-Paul was not the blower, who was. A simple contact with the Jean-Paul at Biot should eliminate him and at the same time questions can be asked about the link between Biot and St Albans. Probably best done in French!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Biot is a small town which does not only house the Verrerie de Biot but also a prestigious "Galerie Internationale du Verre" and an "Ecomusée" . There are dozens of glass artists in and around town, and various studio facilities for glass makers. Some learned the trade in the Verrerie, others girated into town from other regions and disciplines.

More than 500 glass makers have worked at the Verrerie since it was founded by Eloi Monod in 1956; the probability that 5 or 10% of those were called Jean-Paul  is very high. The verrerie is owned by the Lechaczynski family since 1974.

I rate the chances that any of the Biot designs originated in the UK as VERY VERY LOW

Offline Patrick

• Members
Hi Ivo,   I hear what you say, but the 1975 date may be significant. The catalogue shows many designs and they must have come from somewhere.
I think when I was doing some late night surfing last night I saw a glasshouse in Biot with his name and Tel. number. I may try and call tomorrow and see if he is the connection to St Albans. If he was he may well speak English !
 Reards Patrick.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

I rate the chances that any of the Biot designs originated in the UK as VERY VERY LOW

I rate it at zero! The fact of the name Verrerie is sufficient that it was started by someone who used the Biot designs.

Offline Patrick

• Members
Hi, Well I tried to call Jean-Paul Vann-lith but the number was unobtainable 033493 651347
 Perhaps he has moved on again ? I have sent a few more emails so I may one day track him down.  Everthing on a Narrowboat moves slowly so I am in no rush..........................
  Regards Patrick.

Offline Patrick

• Members
Hi, I have managed to contact Jean-Paul Van-Liff and he tells me he was not the owner of the St Albans glasshouse. He is going to ask in Biot if anyone knows more.
 Yesterday I went into a Charity shop and found this 180mm stemmed wine glass. ( Page 2 in the catalogue )
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/bargiepat/180mmStemmedwineglass.jpg
Regards Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand