No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Houze Art slumped dish with JF Kennedy - marked on base  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Pinky

• Members
Houze Art slumped dish with JF Kennedy - marked on base
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:53:01 AM »
I wondered whether this Houze Art dish would interest or be of any help. It depicts President JFK in photographic form and is marked to the base - heres links:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6863
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6864

I'm guessing it dates at 1963 going by the dullness of the guild and wear to the rim but am not sure. Pinky

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Houze Art slumped dish with JF Kennedy - marked on base
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:53:36 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

I also suspect 1963 (Kennedys' assassination) or perhaps an anniversary of his death. It would also appear to be the same size and shape (very deep flutes) as the Lunar Landing plate (1969). There's very little about Houze on the 'net, so we are making some inroads. The problem can be the sheer amount of production of their trinket trays which do look very similar to Chances, and are often confused (I have several I am not certain about).

What is interesting is the backstamp, as I've never seen this before.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinky

• Members
Re: Houze Art slumped dish with JF Kennedy - marked on base
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »
....it's a real pleasure, David E - really pleased that you're interested.

Daft thing is I've had it a few years - picked up from when I first started collecting glass 6 odd years ago and popped into a drawer for 'later consideration'. Contemplating house move - sorting things out and there it still was. First I thought it said 'Houre Art' on the back but eventually stumbled across a bit of 'Houze' glass info on the net - enough to tell me that they were window/slumped glass makers amongst other things and to lead me to you last night where I spent a couple of lovely hours.

Wish I'd have done it ages ago. Fascinating glass with so much scope for the 'yet to be discovered' - very, very exciting.

My Beloveds family come from the West of Ireland - he got very excited when he saw the dish and nearly wrenched it out of my hand::)) He tells me that many Irish people have profound admiration and respect for President Kennedy and that items such as this are much treasured. I live in North West London (where I found the dish) near where my hubby grew up in a sizeable Irish community - and wondered initially whether perhaps an Irish soul brought it back from the US......now after reading through your site am thinking they were imported to these islands and other places? Specially for two such important 20th Century events (Lunar Landing and JFK passing) - enough to stop the world in it's tracks.

And it looks like there's all sorts of others to look out for::)). Brilliant!!!!! PinkyX   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand