No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about opalescent lampshades?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Does anyone know anything about opalescent lampshades?
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »

Hi All,

I bought this today, out of curiosity really. I don't know the first thing about opalescent glass, let alone lampshades.  :-\

Click to enlarge.

Does anyone have any idea as to when this kind of shade dates? I have been googling for opalescent lamshades, but I can't find any of just this one colour.

It did come with a fitting (for hanging), but I am not sure if it would be original to the piece.

All information will be very gratefully received.
TIA
Della
x
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Does anyone know anything about opalescent lampshades?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
I have something similar. I was told it was a gas lamp shade, c.1880. Probably German.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

Ooh, that old! I am surprised it survived, it is so thin and fragile.

Thanks, Nic  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »
I think it's because a lot of them were used as ceiling lights after the advent of electricity, and many are only now being taken down....

Mine is currently in use in the downstairs WC.  ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »
Gas lamp shades of this style were still being made in the 1930's. Almost impossible to date. Mostly the smaller ones were for gas lamps but there were some fittings for electric lights the used such size shades. They only covered the bottom part of the bulb to hide the fitting - generally shades were not used with electric bulbs because the bulbs cost so much money that it was important that your visitors could see your wealth. Some bulbs even had the shade built in http://www.debook.com/Bulbs/vvg/vvga7.htm

They were made everywhere. Shades for electric lighting grew more popular as the cost of bulbs started to come down after, say, 1910.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »

I saw one of those bulbs, last week in Nijmegen. I thought that it was really different, a light bulb that actually looked like a shade.

The shade that I have is really quite small, more like a shade for a small table/wall lamp than a ceiling lamp. Having said that, I have no idea (shameful, I know) of what sort of sizes of shade were used for what.  :-[ Although, it is an ideal size for a small lwater closet, under the stairs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand