No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id of ?tulip mark on base of a ?Dartington vase  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Id of ?tulip mark on base of a ?Dartington vase
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:21:23 PM »
As you can tell from the ?s in the topic I'm guessing a bit here...

I was in the local Collectors Centre today (free admission BTW) and the owner asked for my opinion of a vase he had just acquired.  I immediately thought it looked like a Dartington "Roman" FT349 vase (although they call it a VA403 now)  http://www.dartington.co.uk/acatalog/dartingtonromansmallvase.html

Then he turned it over to show me the engraved mark...   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7538

I'm certain I've seen that before, on here, recently...but my searches for the last hour or so have been fruitless.  Does anyone recognise it?  Sorry about my drawing skills by the way - didn't have a camera with me :-\

thanks
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Re: Id of ?tulip mark on base of a Dartington vase
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
Hi all, I popped back in yesterday when I had my camera and managed to get this photo of the mark:     http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7582

I had to tweak the contrast a little to get it to show as there is quite a bit of muck in the bottom of the vase.  I also took my copy of Eve Thrower and Mark Hill's book with me and I can confirm that it is the small (c.7") size of the FT349 Roman vase.

Does the photo help at all with identifying the origin of the mark?
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Id of ?tulip mark on base of a ?Dartington vase
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:42:56 AM »
It appears to be a registered trademark but it doesn't appear in the UK/EU trademarks database  or in the US one as far as I can tell ??? At least not as belonging to Dartington

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »
Hi Christine, many thanks for checking that - can you view/search the trademark databases on the web?
Tim

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 03:51:09 PM »
Yes, there is the UK one, which includes some EU ones and the US one

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:13:28 PM »
I have still been wondering about this vase and finished up buying it ;).

At the boot fair last weekend I looked at one of the dealers tables and saw quite a collection of pieces from the Ripple collection, all stickered - except the FT349 vases (2), which had this engraved mark on the base.  But I have seen these vases elsewhere unmarked and without stickers.

Getting to me now....

Tim
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand