No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bernsdorf "Evelyn" and the Davidson 278 vases.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Bernsdorf "Evelyn" and the Davidson 278 vases.
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:06:26 AM »
I have just bought yet another Bernsdorf Evelyn vase, not for resale, but for use, as it is, in my not so humble opinion, the best and most idiot-proof flower vase ever made.   See the bottom of Pamela's web page here.

It was obviously a close copy of Davidson's unregistered 278 design, see here, but instead of being fitted with one of Davidson's rather difficult to use styles of flower holders, it was fitted with a close copy of the excellent Sowerby unregistered Derby flower holder, see here for an example.   The Evelyn vase was improved by providing a locating ledge to ensure that the flower holder locked into position (although Pamela's photograph as of the date of writing shows that you can locate it at a strange angle if you really try!)

So, the question is, who designed Evelyn?

I think it was more than likely someone in Britain who may even have tried to get Davidson and Sowerby to cooperate on this, and, in frustration, commissioned Bernsdorf to make it.    Possibilities include Bersdorf's agents in London, and major factors like Lang.

Are Bernsdorf's agents and other business associates in Britain known?

Bernard C.  8)

ps — How is/was Evelyn pronounced?   There seem to be two versions in Britain — ever-lyn and eve-lyn.   How is/was it pronounced in Germany?
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Re: Bernsdorf "Evelyn" and the Davidson 278 vases.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »

It was obviously a close copy of Davidson's unregistered 278 design, see here, but instead of being fitted with one of Davidson's rather difficult to use styles of flower holders....

Davidson did not actually design the Premier support which was used in the 278. It was a design registered to Stourbridge Glass. A variant of the 278 did use the No. 10 grid support.

I have also seen other versions of the 278/Evelyn vase, manufacturer unknown. These appear to be copies with poor moulding.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:30:44 AM »
Hi Bernard,
pronounciation of German girl's name is áive leen
My friend prefers to be called just Eve (English pronounciation!)

Bernsdorf's designer unknown, but will try to find something  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
found ERICH HERZOG in PK text - no copyright  thaught of  ;D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Photographs of my Janet's collection of 278s and Evelyns for use;  now, thanks to Paul S, all present and correct with no M&Ms:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
 >:D
I believe the addition of "r"s in pronouncing things which don't have them (as well as the omitting of them where they do exist) is a purely English habit, Bernard, not a British or (ukish) thing at all.

It drives me daft when I'm doing cryptic crosswords!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand