No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: English? Drinking glass  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
English? Drinking glass
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »
I'm keeping a lookout for little drinking glasses because I'd like to learn more about them - should buy a proper book really!

This one is 4" tall.  The base size is larger than the top rim, and both show nice signs of age wear.  The base has a concave pontil mark.  The knop (is that called 'bladed'?) I thought was machine made initially, but it's a bit wonky, so I suspect it's hand done.  Likewise the cutting to the underside of the bowl - that's slightly irregular too.

The glass has a greyish tint when viewed down through the stem.  So, my question is, is this English glass?  Any idea of age?

Thank you.   :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7680
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: English? Drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
Hi Max, it's quite normal for earlier drinking glasses for the foot to be bigger than the bowl, maybe a rommer, John Sanden;s book on glass is good. In a hurry right now, but will pop back later.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
The only books I have that cover drinking glasses are to do with Danish glass, but a few of the factories, especially Aalborg Glasvaerk, were producing very similar shapes between 1840 - 1900.

I'm not saying that the glass is Danish, but the output of Danish factories pre-1920 was often indicative of the shapes that were popular elsewhere in the world at that time and so they can be useful for approximating time periods of fads and fashions.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
Thanks Sue, I knew about the base being perhaps an indication of age sizewise, but it's nice to have confirmation.  I wondered about it being a rommer/rummer too, but the bowl doesn't look quite big enough, although the glass is short...hmm!

Nic, I'd be pleased if it was as aged as that, I was hoping for that area.  It's a dinky little thing that I feel quite pleased with for 25p.  ;)  I think a collection of old glasses that I can use is in order soon.

PS:  I'll have a look for John Sanden's book Sue.  :D
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »
The only thing I can say for sure about this is that the knop is called "annulated" rather than "bladed" (which has just a single, horizontal "v" shape, with the point of the "v" sticking out). I would suggest this is a regular wine glass rather than a rummer.
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »
Heavens Tiger!  That link will keep me occupied tomorrow!  Thank you.  :-*

Cheers for the 'bladed' correction Kev.  'Annulated' it is then - what a great word too.  :D  I think I'd go with ordinary wine glass.  They must have drunk less in those days...it wouldn't give me more than a couple of slurps.  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Dettmer

• Members
    • Antique Glass Dealer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:20:43 AM »
Hi Max

This is an English drinking glass circa 1820. The bowl is known as double-ogee and I believe its a port glass.

Georgian drinking glasses tend to have small bowls because alcohol was stronger.

Cheers

Dettmer

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
Wow!  Thank you Dettmer.  That little glass is in my kitchen cupboard, how lovely that it has such a good age to it!   :D

Thank you again.   :fwr:

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand