No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another different Uranium Snake Cut Glass vase  (Read 1354 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Another different Uranium Snake Cut Glass vase
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:13 AM »
Hi all,

I just bought this vase today. I was positive Id seen one of these somewhere but I searched the board and found all different snake vases, but not like this.

Just over 8 inches high, with cut base and top, like crystal. Uranium glass snake winding around. As is my luck, no signature that I can see.  I never thought Id say I loved a vase with a snake on it, but I do! My glowy collection is starting to get bigger  ;D

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8083 vase
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8082 vase under UV
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8081 top of vase.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Another different Uranium Snake Cut Glass vase
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:30:10 AM »
Can anyone suggest a date or any particular description. After a night and day looking, Im all googled out on search terms to even bring up anything close. I keep getting Loetz as the snake vases and I KNOW its not even in that vicinity..

Sorry to bump the post but his vase is driving me nuts!! You would think I could find at least one similar one..

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 08:14:56 AM »
You have to have a bit of patience here, Selina! Sometimes it takes a while for someone to drop in who can help. Can't really help you with the identification. I think the style might have been popular in the late 1800s but that's as far as I know - hopefully someone who knows more will be along at some stage. Here are a few variations on the theme, but none are yours. Here's a vase by Harrach (scroll down to item 7174), and an unidentified pair of vases, an epergne, a decanter, a really extraordinary Baccarat vase, a much less exciting vase, Loetz, another Loetz, and a goblet. I've no idea whether any of the attributions given for those items are right either.

Try searching on "applied snake decoration" or "applied serpent decoration" and glass.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:47:21 AM »
Thanks Cathy. :)

You may have misunderstood my intentions...I do have patience..I wasnt really expecting an ID that quick, if at all. I was just looking for other search terms that I could use really. Sometimes you can look and look and a search term that is common for someone else to use, isnt thought of by another.

Anyway, thanks for the links.. and I will keep searching.

Trudy
Trudy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:38:46 AM »
After some searching, Ive come across a piece of info in a glass book.. Glass and Glassware by George Savage. Its an older book..but I found a butter dish in it with a green glass snake on it and if Im allowed to quote the book..

quote" Stourbridge, last quarter of the 19th century. The snake is a not infrequent ornament on Stourbridge glass of this period."end quote

Does anyone have any books on Stourbridge? I have no other info at all..except for this one picture and its on a butter dish of opal glass.

Thanks
Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand