No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irridized vase..ID help?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Irridized vase..ID help?
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
I bought this vase last year because the surface finish seemed unusual...I believe it's mould blown and the top is cut and polished (the shape suggests to me that the neck may have been cut down at some point but it's well finished so I cant be sure?)

The base glass is a very dark vivid violet that reads as black and the irridized surface is unusually deeply fissured I think.

It's 23cm (9in) high and looks to have some age.

Any thoughts as to the maker, age, etc very much appreciated.

Martyn.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Irridized vase..ID help?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
Forgot the base...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »
I'm fairly sure that is from Royal Brierley Studio - I have 3 or 4 of theirs with a similar finish.  Mine all have a signature on the base but in the texturing it is very difficult to see on one of them...I had it for nearly two years before I noticed it ::)  Mine are all a similar height to yours and all have cut and polished tops.

Fairly modern giftware I think, but of high quality.
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »
That was one of my first thoughts, but this had quite a build up of grime on it when I bought it suggesting it was'nt new at all and I've examined it very closely for a mark without joy a number of times.I'll have another look in the daylight for a mark, what exactly might I be missing?

Most of the RB pieces I've seen have had a much more superficial finish than this? Could you post a pic of one of yours for comparison?

Many thanks,

M.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »
Hi Tim,

I've just checked again and it's definately not signed, but Royal Brierley Studio is very similar is'nt it. I still think the finish is a slightly different technique to those RB I've seen but I suppose it could have been a second ???

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
The RB range you're referring to was designed by Isle of Wight Studio Glass, who might be able to shed some light on whether this actually is RB or not.

I'm afraid it doesn't look quite right to me. This seems to have a crackle finish, which the RB don't, but perhaps it might even be a variation by IoWSG?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »
Thanks Sue thats great, I did'nt know IOWSG were involved in the RB stuff but can see it now you've pointed it out...I'll drop them a line and see what they think....any other thoughts in the meantime much appreciated.

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »
Hi, I have taken photos of two of mine (a third one turned out to be Alum Bay IOW when I turned it upside down  :-[  )

Here is a hard to find signature;
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8285

Other photos of mine are in the gallery with it.  I'm sure I have another one of their vases somewhere - but I really don't know where at the moment, too much glass in this house 8)
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »
I have revived this seven-plus-year-old topic because I've found some evidence that may help to answer it. I've contributed my material to a more recent thread about a similar vase:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52274.msg333059.html#msg333059

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
I see you're aiming for the super-super-sleuth gong for 2015 already, Trevor.
Thanks for all your effort - and for remembering and pulling threads together!  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand