No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any information on this 'French millefiori' paperweight, please?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Any information on this 'French millefiori' paperweight, please?
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi all,

I saw this paperweight (about 5.5cm in diameter) at an auction recently, where it was catalogued as 'French millefiori'. I didn't buy it but I would be very interested, as part of my learning process, for any information about it that you could let me have.

Many thanks in anticipation, John.

Top view ~ http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8521
Detail ~ http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8520
Base ~ http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8519

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Any information on this 'French millefiori' paperweight, please?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
Hello John.  I'm sorry to see no-one has commented on this weight, as I too would have been interested to learn about it.  I am puzzled by the 'French' ID, as at first glance I would have thought it looked Scottish! 

Perhaps I should get out my books on canes, which I haven't looked at for a while, and see if I can spot them. 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
Hi Leni

I think it was identified elsewhere as Murano, maybe 25-30 years old. Like you, I thought the canes looked a bit Scottish, but they don't quite match anything.

It is presently being advertised on ebay by orville4 (item 150164923787) along with various other weights he got from the Charterhouse auction.

Regards

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »
... I think it was identified elsewhere as Murano, maybe 25-30 years old. Like you, I thought the canes looked a bit Scottish, but they don't quite match anything...

Hi Alan,

Could you let me know where it was ID's as Murano please? The only thoughts I've seen on it elsewhere are possibly "Italian house of Goebel circa 1980".

Thanks, John.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »
Hi John

I made an assumption (maybe incorrectly) that Italian 'House of Goebel' meant someone in Murano.

I suppose I should come clean, and say I was the seller! I bought cheaply, it suspecting it might be French, then decided I had no idea who made it.  It was too light to be a classic French factory product from the 1850s - but that leaves a lot of possibilities.  If someone gave me convincing evidence that it was French, Scottish, or Italian I would believe them. A strange little weight!

I am happy to accept Andy Dohan's ID.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
All I can say is that if those canes are Scottish I might want to buy it as an example of something a bit unusual.
KevinH

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
Hi again Alan,

Maybe it is a Murano house ~ working more with ceramics than glass paperwights, I 'automatically' associated House of Goebel with Hummel/Goebel of Germany and forgot the Italian bit! Bet you were pleased with the auction result!!

I found this paperweight on eBay, which has a label and, to my untrained eye, looks pretty similar.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190156043596

Cheers, John.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:38:54 AM »
I agree with Kevin that the canes look Scottish.  However the arrangement of the canes is not typical for a Scottish weight.  Very different from the Murano example. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 01:28:08 PM »
The "House of Goebel Italy" is/was a division of german company "The House of Goebel GmbH".
I've found some pottery figurines on eBay and one of them had the original sticker plus a tag with information.

The tag includes the description "gift sales" and indicates that this company buys from different manufacturers
to sell in other countries. The item below was apparently intended for the US market.

eBay item 230170156136

There are also other eBay items which are artist signed and have other labels, item 160161627670 is a good example.

This company should not be confused with the "Hummel Goebel" - Goebel Porzellanmanufaktur GmbH, altho I wouldn't be
surprised if that was a contributing motivation in naming a company that sold porcelain figurines to the US.

I haven't been able to find out more about the non Hummel Goebel, the tag mentioned for the first item lists the company address
as West Germany, so I assume it was made before the unification. The US address listed is a PO box.
A search for the german company name on google.de doesnt yield any relevant hits.

To sum up I suspect the "House of Goebel Italy" is/was a store brand for german export company "House of Goebel GmbH".
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »
Just found and bought a similar one for myself, some differences but appears to be same maker.

Item 260164260824

Looking forward to getting my hands on it, interesting canes
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand