No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PHOSPHORUS GLASS!  (Read 2543 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
PHOSPHORUS GLASS!
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »
Hello all
while we spend a lot of time talking about old/vintage glass on this group (a good thing), I wanted to let you all know about someone currently making phosphorus glass.  (just in time for Halloween!)  I am giving this 'plug' as I think the stuff is neat and not for any financial interest.  The maker is Jack Loranger, and he has a website called www.hotglass.cc
The phosphorus glass he has named AfterGlow.  I was lucky enough to see one of the pieces in person (he came to our vaseline glass convention as a speaker) and I bought two pieces from him. 
here is the link:
www.vaselineglass.org/jack2007combo.jpg
this panel of three photos shows the pieces on the left under natural light, center is under a UV blacklight, and on the right is after the blacklight has 'charged' up the phosphorus piece and the light has been turned out.  This piece continues to glow a bluish white color after the lights are out.  The vaseline piece next to the phosphorus vase is also new.  It has an inner lining of vaseline glass, an outer lining of clear glass, and then there is a dark green advernturine that was feathered into the outer layer.  In good light, the adventurine sparkles with little glitter spots.  I own 17 pieces of Loranger glass and think his work is advancing nicely as he becomes more skilled.  He is a one-man shop in Washington State and makes about 200 pieces of glass a year.  Most of the pieces on his website are pieces he has made in the past that are already sold, but he can make them again if you are interested, or takes commission ideas. 
here is my collection of Loranger glass:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/loranger17.jpg
The pig was a suggestion made by me, and he made it, and I saw it in his shop the one time I visited his shop, so I bought it.  He later made them with wings ("when pigs fly") and put a little loop on their backs, so they could be hung from a string.  The perfume bottles in the front row (looking like fish standing on their tail) was a design idea I had and he made 30 of them for me to sell to friends (these are the only two left).
The long iris is 20 inches long and the flower on the end is vaseline glass with purple frit over the top, so the whole thing glows.  THAT was a real beast to ship, as the long stem is no thicker than a pencil at the narrowest point.  The pumpkin is also vaseline glass under the orange frit.  He has made the pumpkins up to 6 inches in diameter.  Under the red fins on the big fish in the back row is also vaseline (red frit over the top).  The two tall feathered vases that look like custard was accomplished by hanging the gather up for 5 minutes and allowing it to cool, then reheating it.  In effect, it is solid opalescent.  He then feathered in blue or red on the sides.  My wife liked the blue, I liked the red, so we got both of them.
The two small cups in the front row (just behind the iris) are my favorites. 
I made the one on the left, and the one on the right is the one that Jack made just prior to me making one.  The whole story is at  http://www.vaselineglass.org/glassblowing.html
I am the tall guy. 

regards
Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: PHOSPHORUS GLASS!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »
Brilliant! Not dissimilar to the phosphorous used on earlier watch faces, I suppose. I can see you and Christine branching off with a new line of collectable glass ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: PHOSPHORUS GLASS!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Jack is making soem good stuff  :hiclp: :hiclp: Don't encourage me David!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand