No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Pattern id: Depression?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Pressed Glass Pattern id: Depression?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
That's what I was told by some US glass folks too Christine, but this pattern seems to be  unknown on their side of the pond, but does show up in the UK's DC archives, so it looks like it was produced by Sherdley either as a copy or under licence perhaps. I've seen a fair few of the bowls like mine around here.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline furrymischief

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
Many thanks to all for their information - but what, please, are the "UK DC archives"?  Also, I've seen Sherdley named a few times on this website but I don't know anything about them.  Can you enlighten me?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »
DC is Design Council (as mentioned earlier up this topic.) Their archives are at Brighton Uni and are accessible online... also see the topic mentioned earlier up the topic (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9204.0.html).

Sherdley was a part of the United Glass Bottle Co (who were also known as UGB), as was Ravenhead (of whom you probably have heard.)  If you put Sherdley or Ravenhead into the search box on the board you will find quite a few topics about their glass.  UGB were based at St Helens just outside Liverpool, and the company had, I believe, the first automated drinksware making machinery in this country. Famous designers associated with them include Alexander Hardie Williamson, and John Clappison (of Hornsea Pottery fame), and Annette Meech who also contributed significant designs to their range. They were responsible for some of the best-known everyday glassware ranges, such as the dimple pint pub tankards, the White Fire fruit sets, Apollo glasses, a whole range of transfer-printed glasses, and a raft of other stuff. You'll find topics about all of these folks here on the board if you search.  Happy reading. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline furrymischief

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »
Thank you.  I must read correspondence more closely!  My excuse is that for the past 5 days I've been offline most of the time, as after an abortive attempt to instal a ZyXEL modem, Internet Explorer hangs every time I attempt to use it.  That was after, of course, the failure of the BT router but before the power pack packed up . ..  This is being tapped out haltingly on a borrowed laptop.  There doesn't seem to be an appropriate smiley.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand