No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: strathearn?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
strathearn?
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
well i bought this one off the Internet , the seller say's it could be made by caithness, but i doubt it, in my mind i think it's strathearn, it measures 2.5" high and 3" wide, the letters are floating within the weight and the cane's are set on a blue mottled ground, it has a side cut facet so the weight can stand upright and the base is flat and highly polished, the weight has a slight grey tinge to it

click image

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: strathearn?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
well i think i've found a cane match on Richard More's site

http://strathearn.smugmug.com/gallery/751827#52485876

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:04:18 PM »
HI!

Looks to be a strathearn frigger - a few do crop up. The initials are interesting - looks like it was made by a Strathearn worker for Lawrence Selman. Anyone know if Lawrence was in the UK in 1975 or perhaps Strathearn were exhibiting abroad at the time??

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:22:05 PM »
thanks for the info cfosterk, i've just sent Dave Moir and email asking him if he know's anything about it
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:21:18 AM »
Well done on finding the cane match, Ray. I could not find it in any of my own info. Please do let us know if Dave Moir is able to confirm anything about the weight. I know that a few weights with "personalised lettering" were made with the assistance of Dave, but those were formed by laying out the letters in powdered glass, whereas this one seems to use "painted" solid colour.

An example of Dave's laying out of these type of weights (spelling out GAFLAC PERTH and surrounded by a looped garland) can be seen at row 2 column 1 in this page in the SCRAN site, which shows images of the weights collection of Perth Museum & Art Gallery. (The image in the SCRAN site is small - unless you chose to register to access the full details and larger images.)
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »
it took me along time to find it Kev, had a reply off Larry Selman, he says it's a very interesting weight and at the time "1975" he was dealing with Strathearn but the weight has nothing to do with him, that he is a ware of, nothing back off Dave as yet,

i will be at the Gaydon glass fair on Sunday so if your there Kev i will take the weight with me
cheers Ray

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:03:33 PM »
Martin

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
Ray,

If you have any close-packed strathearn weights then take a look at them and you might find a cane match there too.

I've got two labelled 'Strathearn' close packs that also show the garland cane in your weight. This doesn't mean it's a Strathearn piece though!!!!

I wish glass manufacturers in Scotland didn't take canes with them, and re-use...

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:11 PM »
just an update, talking to David Moir today and it's 100% Strathearn and it was made by Herbert Dreier and made in one of his dinner hours, Herbert is returning back to Crieff shortly and David will ask him what the initials mean
cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand