No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification needed for Glass bowl  (Read 1788 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Identification needed for Glass bowl
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
This peacock eye trail style bowl with dab drops appears in a 1909 Harrods Catalogue on a page with a number of vases with similar curved drops and trails, all in different shapes.
This catalogue is featured in The Journal of the Glass Association volume 5 1997 for reference.

The code in the Harrods catalogue is CH18048. 
There are three vases on that page that correspond with numbers in the Stuart Pattern books excluding the CH prefix,  which Nigel confirmed for me on another thread.  They are featured in Gulliver's Vol 4.
The code number of this vase fits in with the numbers given on the other vases including the three which have been matched , one of which is CH 18080 for example.
It's hard to read the sizes but I think they read 6" , 8", 10" and 12"  relating to width I presume.

There is another page in that catalogue where all the codes have been matched to Stuart as well.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Identification needed for Glass bowl
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »
Just to correct my post above,  I think the size in the catalogues could correspond to height rather than width as the tall vases all have their heights in, therefore it would not conform if the bowl shapes were suddenly given in diameter widths. 

Also, another addition to my post.

It is very hard to be sure absolutely sure with these things, but I need to mention that the bowl Christine referred to earlier in the thread that featured in Truitt's Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 page 67 (4"high with the same trails as OP's bowl), identified as Harrach, appears to be the same or very similar in shape to a vase in that same Harrods catalogue page (reference source as above) with a code of CH 18081. This catalogue number appears to fit in with Stuart pattern numbers for this range.  Although 3 other vases on that page have been cross checked and matched with Stuart pattern numbers (by Nigel for me  on another thread) and designs, this was not one of them.

In the Harrods catalogue (1909 version) it appears as 5" in height v the Truitts version of 4".  I do believe that Stuart Peacock eye trail style vases came in a variety of sizes, so I suppose it is possible that Harrods were only supplying that one size of that shape that year.

Caveat - I have been told in a previous thread that Truitt's is very accurate and that many of the Harrach pieces were photographed in their depository at Harrach. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand