No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brown glass Javex Bottle -- Maybe Dominion Glass ??  (Read 49130 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Brown glass Javex Bottle -- Maybe Dominion Glass ??
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
Hi, I just purchased this at a thrift store for .49 cents.  I think it might be dominion glass with the D in the triangle, but not sure, and can anyone tell the age of this at all....I sure do not remember these -- so before my time (or not ??).  TIA for any answers.  Was dominion glass just Canada?  Also, what do all the marks mean on the base, like how do you read it.  It seems to be in really good condition.  Do you put these kind of marks at all in the gallery?  Thanks again.  ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Brown glass Javex Bottle -- Maybe Dominion Glass ??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »
DOMINION GLASS CO., LTD. Factory lo­cations: Montreal, Que.; Hamilton, Ont.; Wallaceburg, Ont.; Redcliff, Alta. LaMonte J. Belnap, president; I. R. Macdonald, sales manager. Sales offices: I. R. Mac­donald, Montreal, Que. (UN 4861); R. W. Dixon, Toronto, Ont. (Lakeside 4481); G. M. Harris, Hamilton, Ont. (Hamilton 4-2837); L. N. Ayres, Wallaceburg, Ont. (Tel. 670); E. A. Jepson, Winnipeg, Man. (Tel. 27243); N. W. Meldrum, Redcliff. Alta. (Tel. 260); W. A. Dobson, Van­couver, B. C. (Marine 0451). Pressed ta­bleware, blown tableware, tumblers, col­ored glassware, bar and liquor glassware illuminating glassware, opalware, novelties and specialties, private mould work.

from 1951 trade directory. courtesy the Glass-Study

Javex was probably a customer of theirs. Rest are mould marks.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:51 PM »
Photo of a different style here.

http://ottawa.craigslist.ca/clt/578374054.html
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »
Thanks David E...

I guess the .49 cents I paid for it was OK...lol.

So does anywhere on the bottom tell what year it was from?  Or do you know?  TIA

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:27:52 PM »
Hello:

This was made at the Dominion Glass Redcliff factory in September/October of either 1950 or 1960.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »
Javex is a brand name for sodium hyopchlorite bleach. The brand name is now owned by Colgate-Palmolive

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »
Do you put these kind of marks at all in the gallery?

Hi Rose, I see no reason why we shouldn't do. I think we should have a separate album for bottle marks as they are a different area of glass collecting, but as a glass board we cover all types of glass usage.  New album here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=608 - please add your bottom to is (as it were!)  :o
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Today_M

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »
  Hi.  I hope I can help a little if it's not too late.  This is a bottle made by Dominion Glass Co.  Dominion Glass is a canadian glass company, it was formed from a bunch of different glass companys, like the Diamond Flint Glass Co. and others. The D inside the diamond trademark started being used on the bottoms probly around 1928, (that's when the trade mark was registerd anyway) before that the most common marks were only mould numbers and marks. The D in the diamond was used till 1970 when it was replace with a kinda bottle mould style D with the top open and the shape of a bottle in the middle.  Dominion changed the name to Domglas Ltd. around 1976-78. And as far as I know thay are still operating although alot of plants have been closed. 
   This bottle in the picture was made at the Redcliff, Alberta. The dot at the bottle of the Trademark is the Redcliff plant.  The box to the left of it is the month date code, this one is Sept/Oct. And the 0 on the right is the year, this one is 1960. The number 4 above Javex is the mould style number.
   Also a note - the box system used for the month wasn't used till 1953 and it is still used today. Before that letters were used,  A to F, this was used from around 1941 to 1953.
   Also - Although Dominion changed the trademark in 1970, the D in the diamond was occasionally used on some bottles up to 1980 ish. 

Sorry for rambling on, I just found it hard to find any info when I  was looking for it. So if I can help some one a little thats good.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
Never too late to help ID something - welcome to GMB!  :thup:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Thank you Today_M, and Welcome to the Board :rah:

A fellow Canadian (??) I take it - with so much good knowledge on the topic.  That is Super!!  I still have the bottle here along with many other things that have the D mark.  Good to know what everything means as to dating these.  As you said, quote: I just found it hard to find any info when I  was looking for it. So if I can help some one a little thats good.   You are totally right......hard to find a lot of things to do with Canadian glass stuff -- but with the net I think it shows that people are wanting to know this stuff.  *Obviously, people are collectors all over the board, and trying to figure out family heirlooms, and something they had/wanted as a child.  If this were not the case, then E-bay would not be a multi-million dollar business.* (IMHO)  So people want to know/look/be informed as to what they buy, or collect.....as I wanted to know the date/year of this Javex glass bottle.

That is why Glass Boards like this are so important, and the info each member can bring!!!

Thank you so very much, and look forward to all your future contributions here on the Board!! 

Again Welcome  :rah:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand