No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anna Fogelberg Cactus Vase, and Nazeing Vase  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Anna Fogelberg Cactus Vase, and Nazeing Vase
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
Bonhams

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
Oh dear Frank, no wonder she was a bit short with me then  :-[

Will try there,

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
Why dont you have a word with Nigel Benson he may know a good home for it .And save you 25% comission.JPH

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
I have emailed Nigel the link to this discussion, I hope that he may help.

Barbara

Just read the end of you post...

HOW MUCH COMISSION  :o !

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for the email Barbara. Just back from Mum's again - combined hospital visit and Mum's day, so a good thing that you did contact me.

As promised I am putting in something about the attributed 'Nazeing' piece.

Sadly, there is no proof at all that the combed vase is Nazeing. The combing does not conform with anything that is known and recorded as being by Nazeing, nor Whitefriars/Powell as had been the fond attribution prior to Nazeing being a possible contender! The fully polished concave pontil is not a Nazeing characteristic, nor is the transparent coloured casing that is also a characteristic of these pieces - well certainly not in the various colours that have turned up over the years.

The Anna Fogelberg piece is another thing altogether. As I recall she designed for Thomas Webb prior to a problem with her marriage to Sven. He stayed at the factory and she left with their two children, returning to Sweden.

Whilst these pieces are not common, they do turn up from time to time. They do not always have the Rembrantdt Guild mark, although the one in the British Glass Between the Wars Exhibition did (catalogue number 277).

The availability of the whole raft of cut and engraved British glass from the late 1920's through to the 1970's is surprisingly small, many examples having only been recorded once in modern times - and yet there are others that one must assume were commercially successful at the time, that turn up with great regularity. This piece falls between the two in that a number of examples are known.

I will not discuss the value of the vase other than to agree with the points made by Bernard and to say that I am constantly surprised by the diversity in prices achieved by this type of British glass; currently a real conunndrum because of this lack of consistancy.

Many people who sell at auction are taken by surprise by the auctioneers commission, which of course varies according to who you use. Don't forget you have to add insurance (mandatory, and based on the selling price) and photographic costs, plus VAT on the whole. Occasionally, there is also a lotting fee! What sellers should also take into account is that auctioneers then charge the buyer, who has to take account of this fact when bidding. Consequently the 25% commission quoted by John is easily found. In fact more often than not when you take into account both sets of commissions the fees achieved by the auctioneers can top 35%!

I hope some of this helps, Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand