No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with applied drips and rigaree. Italian? Bohemian?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Vase with applied drips and rigaree. Italian? Bohemian?
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »
This has a couple of issues (missing segments of drip), but I was really taken with it, and the price seemed right, so...What do you think?! It reminds me of Murano glass by Vittorio Zecchin, but that's probably wishful thinking! Does anyone think it's even Italian, or could it be Bohemian?

Detail - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/shandiane78/threadedvase2.jpg
Detail - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/shandiane78/threadedvase5.jpg
Bottom - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/shandiane78/threadedvase4.jpg
Shannon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Vase with applied drips and rigaree. Italian? Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »
Also, please note that the first photo is compressed vertically (not my photos).
Shannon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:11:25 AM »
Just wanted to update...It has been suggested in another forum that this is Theresienthal, circa 1880-1890.
Shannon

Offline Theresienthaler

• Author
  • Members
    • Roemer aus Theresienthal
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
Well,

it looks like it could be Theresienthal. But in the old catalogues i republished in my book "Roemer aus Theresienthal, Band I" this vase is not shown.
IMHO the shape could be Theresienthal, but glassworks in Köln-Ehrenfeld, Buchenau, .... made similar vessels. And: The colour of your vase is a little different from the colours Theresienthal used.
If you are interested to learn more about Theresienthal, please visit my website
http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de/index2.html

Where can I find the other forum?

Regards

Stephan
Kind regards

Stephan

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
Stephan, thanks so much for your expertise! Your site is wonderful. Here is the other thread discussing this vase:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?messageID=1012141207&forumID=75&x#1012141207

It was suggested that I contact the company, so I have done so. No reply yet, but I am hopeful.

Thanks again!

Shannon

Offline Theresienthaler

• Author
  • Members
    • Roemer aus Theresienthal
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
Shannon,

i visited the other forum.
You can ask the people at Theresienthal, but they are not very familiar with the production of their glassworks around 1900 . Sometimes they ask me to tell them something about their former times.
Their collection of old samples and catalogues was around 1970 separated by the former owner of Theresienthal, Max Gangkofner, and put into a museum at the same location. This glassmuseum is a wonderful place to visit, but it doesn`t belong to the glassworks since in the early 1980ties Max Gangkofner sold the glassworks but kept the museum. For more than 25 years museum and glassworks went their own way and there wasn`t much communication between them. But since a couple of month it looks as if times are changing again and glassworks and museum will be able to work together :hiclp:!

Regards

Stephan
Kind regards

Stephan

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
I know this thread is quite old, but I never did hear back from the company, so I'm bumping in hopes of more information. Do you feel that it's definitely German? Or could it be Bohemian, or even Italian? Thanks!
Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand