No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Schmetterling in porcelain  (Read 2593 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
A Schmetterling in porcelain
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »
A friend in UK has got this one made of porcelaine - any ideas?
Walther did not experiment with china.
Measurements are about 10 p.c. less than the glass vase which is normal if it originates from the same mould. (as far as I know  :-\ )
TIA
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Re: A Schmetterling in China?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
Better photos evidencing the craquelé of glaze and shape upon request  :angel:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »
Very interesting, no idea of maker though. There are a number of pressed glass patterns I've seen made in pottery, a ceramic vase very similar to Walther's Gibraltar pattern was made by Sylvac and I have a ceramic copy of Lalique's Ceylan pattern but have thus far been unable to find any information on it.

I suspect maybe a hobbyist or smaller pottery have taken a mould from an actual vase and made this for themselves, though this is just speculation.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
The Bagley Equinox vase was also reproduced in pottery in a blue lustre finished with gold (mother has one.)

Pamela that's fascinating, I hope you manage to find out more about it.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

Re: A Schmetterling in porcelain
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
An interesting area, Pamela, thank you for bringing it up.
Classic 1930s items have been copied. but closer to my area of research, vases by Jurnikl, and Brabec, were apparently copied by Thomas, amongst others... and I guess Jurnikl and Brabec have never received a brass farthing in royalties or fees...
It does depend on copyright and design legislation in different countries.
I know that Marks and Spencer were sued by a swimsuit designer for direct copies of her latest designs, but.. in some other countries, the mere translation of a design into a different material ie glass to ceramic is sufficient to protect a manufacturer or retailer, from legal action.
From a designer's point of view, this is deplorable, to the manufacturer, pure economic sense... no designer fee or royalty, an already proven design, and an interested market...
Are there more examples out there?
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:47:06 PM »
Oh no! And there I was thinking I had ALL the colours!  Now I have to look for a porcelain one, too  :hb1:

Am I right in thinking the finer detail of the flowers on the base has been smoothed out? 

I know she's not glass, but she's still lovely, IMHO  :D
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »
Very interesting!
I have seen a few shapes of vases in Australian pottery dating from the 30s-early 50s period that copy the shapes of English "depression"/art deco glass, probably Bagley items. There's one in particular, a small vase with a top that flares out on both sides, that I have seen in both glass & pottery.
Australian pottery of this period was mostly slip moulded, so perhaps the local mould makers used the shapes of existing, & popular glassware as "inspiration" for their pottery moulds!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:43 AM »
I'm aware of several Carnival Glass patterns / shapes in pottery. Good Luck, Holly and Peacocks bowls and a couple of water pitchers too - some of them have been painted / decorated. Probably many more; I haven't studied the phenomenon - just casually observed along the way.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »
Australian pottery of this period was mostly slip moulded, so perhaps the local mould makers used the shapes of existing, & popular glassware as "inspiration" for their pottery moulds!

This is certainly true, Marinka. When I spoke some years ago to Grace Cochrane of the Powerhouse Museum, my understanding of what she said was that the potteries were expert mould makers, and that Sydney potteries would judge the success of their designs by the speed with which they came back as a copy from Melbourne. So it's quite likely they made moulds from glass shapes as well.

My understanding is that when a mould is made from an original, there is some loss of crispness. That might be interesting to investigate with the porcelain Smetterling.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
Returning home from Denmark (Lise and Dan Andersen's collection to view): Thank you all so very much for your contributions! Very much appreciated!
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand